1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As usual, I'm late to the party

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tripp McNeely, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Me being a Netflix addict, I recently began renting "The Wire." I've read so many people on this board say it's one of the best TV shows around, I just had to see for myself.
    Wow.
    I just completed Season 3 and I gotta say, that's some damn fine television right there. The first two seasons were great. Season 3 and its last few episodes left me emotionally exhausted. I love the how everything in the show matters. Shit that happens in Season 1 that you think are done and dealt with come back and are dealt with again late in Season 3.
    It rewards the intelligent viewer, and sadly, I think that's why it never has quite pulled in the ratings it deserves. Average viewers want to keep it simple. "The Wire" is anything but.
    I just wanted to thank SportsJournalists.com for giving me the nudge to watch this fine show. I've been DVR'ing Season 5 and can't wait to start renting Season 4 in a few days.

p.s. Was there anyone cooler than Russell "Stringer" Bell? Seriously, if I could be as cool as anyone, it'd be him. His character, with his criminal element laid out in front of you, was as dispicable as they come. But I had so much respect for him at the same time, and how he ran the business side of things and his foresight with Prop Joe and the council they built. One of my favorite characters of all time. I'm gonna miss String.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

This dedication goes out to Tripp McNeely

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've never seen the show and haven't read the threads. But I've been told to watch it on numerous occasions. Maybe this is the way to do it.

4. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

You, Simon, are a friend for life ... whether you want to be or not.

5. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Definitely, take the plunge.

And, thanks for the pity comments. I'm not above pity sex or pity comments. Hell, pity anything is fine by me.
    Thanks fellas. I don't feel like nearly as big of a loser as I did about an hour ago.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Anytime, chief.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Season 4 just released on DVD, can't wait to get my hands on it.

8. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Just wait until you watch Season 4. Wow.

This board also convinced me to jump, even though I should've done it sooner, seeing as I love Homicide: Life on the Street.

I started watching via Netflix, but halfway through Season 2, I couldn't wait for the mail, so I bought the DVDs. Now I'm lending them out to family & friends.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One warning: If you move the wire up on your netflix account, there are like 6 discs or so per season, so you won't be watching any movies anytime soon.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It is a good way to catch up on a show, that is for sure.
    I am not watching The Wire, but I am starting at the beginning of Lost and working my way through. The hardest part has been DVRing all of the new episodes and not allowing myself to watch them until I catch up to that season.
    I must say, Lost is a damn fine show. Definitely keeps you on the edge of your seat.

11. Thanks for coming.
    Did you bring the chips?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You're gonna need a bigger seat.

Draft saved Draft deleted