1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As staffs become smaller....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Digress, Jan 26, 2009.

1. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Little things, like putting together all-state teams for high school sports, become impossible. It didn't happen in my state for volleyball. Got an email from a coach today, a chain, trying to drum up support from newspapers to start doing it. Haven't these people been paying attention? When thousands upon thousands of journalists lose their jobs, including in sports, business can no longer be done as it was.
    There will be day that America sits back and says, 'oh crap, we're screwed without real news.'
    Dishing out accolades for the kids is small potatoes compared to everything else that's not going to get reported.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep, but at least I give you kudos for drawing the line in the sand. Don't bend over and expect to get as much done with 3 people as you once did with 5.

In my experience, most editors and managers understand this and aren't expecting production to remain at the same level.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

yet they'll make you jump through hoops trying to get them to send in a simple score or coach's report on a game.

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

It's one thing to draw that line with coaches, but another when they go over your head to the ME or publisher. Then the pressure is back on us to appease the masses (or at least the handful of callers that the ME or publisher thinks is representative of the masses). Looking back over the past two years, we are being asked to do just as much (if not more) despite having fewer bodies to do that work.

Draft saved Draft deleted