1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As scary as big brother gets in this business

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

http://www.beachwoodreporter.com/column/the_monday_papers_183.php

I LOVE that he got a screenshot of the post before it was nuked.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Good pull.

"Michaels" used to work for Clear Channel, which is all you really need to know.

Steaming pusbag.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

On the one hand, good for him for standing on his principles. On the other, isn't this him biting the hand that feeds him?

4. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I'm curious as to how you see this as "biting the hand that feeds him," considering that hand no longer feeds him.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Makes it easy to root for the Sun-Times in that market if the Tribune, emerging from bankruptcy, keeps Michaels around in any capacity whatsoever.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Subject line is wee bit full of hyperbole, isn't it?

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Fair use, given the top-level machinations here, and how the big wheels are clearly playing "scratch
    my back", to the detriment of the
    writer -- let alone the public.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It is scary, and incredibly disappointing and sickening, that somebody like Randy Michaels is in charge of a major media company.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If the Tribune Co. is going to go forward into a post-Zell era, shouldn't it be without Zell and all of his bobos?

How Michaels or Lee Abrams or any of the other scoundrels can hang onto jobs in what is supposed to be a new era -- convincing customers and staff that there is a chance for survival, with the foul-mouthed barbarian out -- is a mystery.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Not a bit... try explaining yourself.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

So it's Big Brother that an article get pulled from a Web site because an exec doesn't like it? Stuff gets pulled from the Web all the time. Not saying it's right, but I've seen worse.

12. Xsportschick

Xsportschick Member

You must have missed the part where Michaels, after a night of drinking at a radio convention, pulled two AMFM producers aside and proceded to grill them on their coworkers. Did I mention after a night of drinking? Yeah, so Michaels records the whole conversation (Big Brotheresque-y, eh?), fires the producers and proceeds to use the info he got from them to hack away at the rest of the staff.

Back in his Jacor days, Michaels introduced himself to employees at recently acquired stations by holding a mandatory staff meeting and opening it by mooning those present.

Maybe that's not scary. But it sure is creepy.

Draft saved Draft deleted