1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As our football section gets ready..

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by airbag2929, Aug 7, 2009.

1. airbag2929

airbag2929 New Member

We have the biggest one yet and our advertising is way up. Unbelievable with this economy. We may have to cut back on stories and run them in our regular section on other days. Anything like that out there for anyone else?

2. TheS

TheS Member

Congrats

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

TROLL! :D

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Hooray! That's awesome to hear.

I'm just glad we've been working on gathering schedules for weeks now and have them almost all ready to go.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Glad to hear things are going that well anywhere. I don't even know if they'll give us a tab this year. Last I heard, they were talking about giving us a couple extra pages on a Sunday. I cringe.

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

All I know is we're supposed to get a tab but we won't get the page count until 4, 5 days before it goes to press. Should be interesting.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

No tab/preview section for the first time in my career ... just a story a day per team running up to the season opener.

8. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

just a quick glance through our 48-page dummies the other night and it appears ads are down. we'll probably have to come up with more filler than usual.
    never understood why our ad folks can't sell a football tab in this part of the country.
    of course, it might have something to do with the same ad dept. rep emailing me every july asking when football season starts, when it ends and how many weeks it is.
    They do the same thing with nascar too.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"It never ends. Go out and sell ads."

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

That made me want to strangle people so badly that I made a note each January in my yearly day-planner for April-ish to let the village idiots know that, um, yeah, a tab might not be such a bad idea!

rb

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Considering who you guys cover....wow. Unreal.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We developed some new approaches to selling ads in the high school tab – no, I'm not going to tell you just yet, and when I do it's probably something a lot of you do anyway – and we've gotten good response. The college tab market, despite a top 10 team, seems to be dead right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted