1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As long as we're throwing out phrases to be banned...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

But harriers and grapplers are OK, right? :D

2. doctor x

doctor x Member

Let's not forget first annual.

3. KoM

KoM Member

"twirled a mound gem"

makes my skin crawl.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I disagree on this one.

5. And if anyone does use the above, it's not a highlight reel. Highlights haven't been edited onto film reels in 35 years. They don't even use tapes anymore. How about "...would have made an ESPN highlight broadcast quality HD-video digital file."

Speaking of which, my own would be use of the term "anymore" in a positive sense. It seems to be creeping into the language somehow.

Right: "They don't even use tapes anymore."
    Wrong: "They have switched to digital video anymore."

And in business or politics, referring to having people "on the ground." Unless you're talking about paratroopers, it's idiotic.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

The use of the word "gem" with regard to pitching should be severely restricted to no-hitters and perfect games. Giving up one hit is NOT a gem because it happens every other week. Giving up one run -- don't get me started.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I think you're taking things a tad too literally here.

8. joe

joe Active Member

Dear god, yes. Deader than JFK's whores.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Any football coach jargon. Especially anything with unnecessary use of "football" as a modifier.

And basketball coaches are quickly gaining with "bigs" and "score the ball."

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I think if I covered high school sports, I would write quoteless gamers.

11. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

"At this point in time." WTF? As opposed to "At this point in space?"

Should just be a three-word sentence.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There are 300 million people in America.

It seems about six actually know that "dilemma" is not a synonym for "problem."

"The Colts faced a dilemma on fourth-and-2. They could let Joseph Addai try to pick up the yardage, or put the ball in Peyton Manning's hands."

That is hardly a choice between two bad alternatives . . . which is what a dilemma really means.

And by the way, those same six people are the only ones who know how to spell "supersede".

Draft saved Draft deleted