1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As long as we're throwing out phrases to be banned...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 18, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Stepped up" is a plague that runs through every high school team.

Another one that has spawned out of control is "the edge" in football. "Running around left end" or such works perfectly fine for me, I don't need the overdrama of the ballcarrier "getting to the edge."

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

and "high-motor guy", and "he's very long"

off the schneid is mostly used on radio for teams picking up their first wins. It comes from, I believe, bridge or some other card game I do not play.

but I do like the phrase "all in"

3. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

I'm going to go Jose Guillen the next time someone uses the term "quarter pole" incorrectly. Which is the case about 99 percent of the time in the sports page. As in, the Los Angeles Angels hit the quarter pole Thursday night -- which they think means the season is one-quarter old. The quarter pole means the race has one-quarter of a mile left, not completed.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I also agree with "motor" don't all guys have one, it's just that d-linemen for some reason have "a great motor." I guess that means he can run into the O-line and sometimes take up two guys and open a hole for someone else.

from Wiki:

5. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

oh, and "score the ball." Don't get me started.

6. offwing28

offwing28 Member

No idea what those even mean.

THANK YOU.

And "sneak peek": burn it down to save it. Used to be people misspelled "peek." Now they're misspelling "sneak" instead.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cant throw out Groundhog Day... it's the only way I can describe my dropout troubles to Charter with my cable and internet

8. Gil_Hicks

Gil_Hicks New Member

All good stuff, particularly the quarter pole.

And this "scandalgate" bullshit has to stop. I've been saying it to my wall for three years. Over the last three days, I've heard this Patriots thing referred to on the WWL as: CameraGate, SpyGate and VideoGate. Uggh.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'd be happy if all newspapers banned this from the beginning of every quote (football players, especially, love to start sentences with this): "Basically, we just ......"

10. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

"Off load."
    You don't "off load" something, you "unload" it.

Same as we don't "on load" something. We "load" it on the truck.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I don't know if it needs to be banned, but I'd venture to say that 99 percent of the usage of currently is redundant and pointless.

Currently the Rangers are 10-9

Don Pasquale is currently trying to develop a jump shot

I am currently checking out this tiny and wicked adorable brunette waiting for her coffee at the Starbucks who looks better in a t-shirt and glittery flip-flops than most women do dressed to the nines.

Rarely is the word needed. Often is the word used.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"Off the schneid" would be good . . . and it was fresh 30--40 years ago, when first placed in a sporting (rather than a card-playing) context . . . but it's been absolutely beaten to death by the Mouse's "talent" over the last decade.

Draft saved Draft deleted