1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As Jason Whitlock sees it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Whitlock rips on black people all the time. He does get into race a lot, but I think he's as fair as it gets when it comes to race.

Of course, that's irrelevant here because race was never once brought up in the column.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Forest, trees, etc.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The Philly QB situation is very tricky for any columnist...and it is largely because of race.

Let's see. We have Donovan McNabb, a quarterback with an erratic arm and some humbling playoff performances. In other words, we've seen his ceiling.

Now he's replaced with Kolb, a guy with lots of potential but in the opener, the dude had cement feet and looked scared. The game didn't "click" to him and he got knocked out.

Leaving the Vick Option. #7 looked good. He also looked great at times between 2002 to 2006. Looked like garbage in a lot of other games.

My money is on the defense that gets a full week to prepare for Vick.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

In that situation, it's back to Column A: Jeff George.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Dammit. And here I thought I was at least a decent person with only the occasional bad streak. Oh well.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

There's nothing "tricky" about the situation. Anyone who has seen Kolb and Vick play knows which one has more talent. Stevie Wonder can see that. Kolb is an unknown as a pro. No one knows what he is capable of. Reid likes that. He knows what he is getting with Vick. It's a talent that he can't harness.
    Andy Reid is not a racist. And this doesn't have a damn thing to do with race.
    Reid is stubborn. Always has been. Always will be. If he wants to win a few games, he would do well by putting in a mobile quarterback. It's just that simple.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Does Whitlock have a public position on the Steelers QB controversy? Bet he thinks it's Dixon's job until he loses 5 straight.

Hey Jason, Moore or Clausen?

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Whitlock and I are obviously not the best of friends, but I have to stick up for the man here. Part of his MO is that he'll criticize any athlete, white or black. He was a big-time Vick critic all throughout Vick's career, prior to the dog fighting stuff. To say he's picking sides here because of race -- especially when Vick is the kind of African American athlete Whitlock criticizes constantly, and takes considerable heat from the AA American community for doing so -- is to have almost no grasp of Whitlock's writing history.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Shut up, Les.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Watching through Vick's game on Sunday, he looked good out there but the decisions are still a question mark. Could've run in a touchdown from 10 yards out but decided to throw. Missed some open receivers along the way.

I think part of the resentment over Vick, when he was a starter, was that he was hype without a lot of results. He won at Lambeau against Mike Sherman (a too frequent occurence), ran through Mike Tice's awful Viking defense in 2002 in OT. How many Super Bowls did the guy get to? Was he a leader on the field?

I'll agree on Whitlock - he gets tagged as a race-baiter at times but I find him more "results-oriented" than most columnists.

Still waiting for any critical words on Jason Campbell, Donovan McNabb or Michael Vick to come out of Rhoden or Wilbon. :)

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's coming. Stay tuned.

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

The worst thing as a sports journalist who happens to be African American is to be labeled as an African American journalist.

Draft saved Draft deleted