1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As Jason Whitlock sees it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The big fella hits this one square. Very good read and even better take.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/michael-vick-should-be-eagles-quarterback

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

BYH co-signs that. :)

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Why do you have to announce a starter?

Wouldn't it be smarter to hold the cards close and not allow your opponent to prepare for one or the other?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

93: Since Kolb had a concussion, he'll have to be on the injury list in some form, so secrecy about him is pretty much shot.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Whitlock writes this as if Vick has never had a big game before. The guy has had those "Steve Young" type days before, usually followed by three weeks of sucking. Ability has never been the man's problem. Consistency, as well as simple humanity, have been issues for Vick.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Good heavens, Whitlock demanding a white player be benched in favor of a black player. Who'da thunk it.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Anyone who watched that Eagles game knows that Vick was 1,000,000 times better than Kolb was.

To say Whitlock's stance is strictly race-related is an absurd and extremely lazy opinion.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Still, it was just one game and Whitlock is either ignoring Vick's previous history of mixing in the occasional spectacular performance among all the mediocrity or he is ignorant of it.

I wouldn't have gone there, but given Whitlock's history, I can see where Starman is coming from.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Let's see what Vick does against a defense that expects to see Michael Vick -- the Packers played a pretty exotic package based on what they thought they were going to see from Kolb. I imagine if they had planned all week to see a QB who's liable to make a mad dash instead of looking for the fourth read, they might have had Hawk on the field instead of an extra DB at some point.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I've got no dog in this fight.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

This has nothing to do with race. If the playing field was level - and it has not been concerning Vick during his comeback - he would've earned the starting job. Kolb, who has a splendid arm, isn't ready to lead a team yet. I'm not saying that Vick is, but he's done it before.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I see what you did there.

Draft saved Draft deleted