1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As if we need reminding that this job used to be great

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SheaSeals, Sep 4, 2014.

1. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

Pretty interesting interview. I remember in the 1970s seeing Carry in the city. He was a distinguished man.

http://www.jeffpearlman.com/peter-carry/

2. Madison Sports

Madison Sports New Member

One nugget in there:

... "[D]uring my later years at SI (the swimsuit issue) represented some place between 15 percent and 20 percent of the magazine’s revenues ..."

And we wonder why the very concept of journalism is in such deep trouble?

Another nugget from Carry, perhaps taken a tiny bit out of context but it fits the theme: "This is a human problem, not a technical problem."

3. And good advice for editors.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I've read that the ad revenue number for the swimsuit issue is even higher now. Seems like it was a third of the total for SI.

I've also read that the fashion magazine the NY Times does, that one issue's ad revenue pays for the foreign bureaus and its reporting.

I'm not sure what you mean though.

Ad revenue is what keeps all publications going.

5. Madison Sports

Madison Sports New Member

Well, what I meant is that for all the blood, sweat and tears the good people at SI pour into the other 50 issues, the one issue that produces a third of the annual revenue is all about boobs and butts.

Extrapolated further, it could mean that without the financial windfall of the swimsuit issue to prop up the numbers, the business model for pure, top-level sports journalism actually may have been unsustainable for a couple of decades already. We just couldn't see the truth through the fabric strained by all those nipples.

It is a comment on the public, not on the business decision to publish the swimsuit issue.

6. Mauve_Avenger

Mauve_Avenger Member

[/quote]

I am pretty sure I use this type of sentence structure on a regular basis. :eek: :eek:

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I imagine it's still pretty great to be one of SI's top editors and a featured writer.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Likewise. Never heard anyone else advise against it.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Easy there, Churchill, doubt anyone is crying (much less bleeding) in the course of their work at SI.

Draft saved Draft deleted