1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As if getting beaten wasn't enough, you're fired!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt1735, Jun 13, 2013.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Look, I think they did a heartless thing by firing the woman. I think they are going to take the usual bad PR the catholic church has a knack for attracting, as a result.

But your argument really doesn't work. He's stalking HER, not the school. You made the mad dog analogy and said you do what you have to do to get rid of it. That's exactly what they did. That mad dog is after her -- she's the raw meat. So they got rid of her.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

This is why I said the church should find another solution.

Pay her indefinitely if you have to, the church has a leadership responsibility to be better than this.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That would probably be best. Maybe even better to set her up at another parish thousands of miles away.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The school has a moral, and possibly legal, obligation to protect its students and employees. If they can't afford to hire a security team or whatever, maybe this is the easiest way for them to deal with it. Why should the rest of the students and employees be at risk because one teacher's husband is a psycho?

No one has an absolute right to a job. Not today, not ever. I'm not saying this dude's behavior is the woman's direct fault. But if she's the target, for pete's sake, get rid of the target.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Newspapers publish things that piss people off. Somebody might get so pissed off they'll come to the paper and shoot it up. Therefore, the paper shouldn't publish anything that might upset anyone.

Right?

(And yes, I've worked for papers that have been threatened with violence, so this is not far-fetched).

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You would think a faith-based organization would have more compassion, then I remember their history with alter boys. Nevermind.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

God knows the church has plenty of experience shuffling its problem employees to other parishes.

8. We had/have a similar situation with my son's teacher.
    She's apparently going through a nasty divorce. She got a restraining order against her husband.
    To avoid worry, she took a leave of absence and left the area with her 2-year-old.
    She's was proactive and the school system is working with her. I'm glad she thought enough of her job and her students to not bring trouble to school.

9. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

The people who blame the woman sicken me.

Yes, she chose her spouse. But no, she had no idea he'd turn out to be a manic psycho. And now she's got four kids to support with one paycheck, and the school is going to take that away from her?

How about just beef up security and don't let the nutjob near the school? This is wrongful termination.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is this a Gannett Catholic church?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I would think getting beaten by your husband would qualify as a Moment of Life.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Although there's certainly no indication they have any plans to do so, the church (i.e., the Church) could certainly arrange to have her transferred to some other Catholic school far away without any terrific incremental cost to anybody (find her a comparable position at a comparable pay rate at a school which was going to hire a new teacher anyway), but unless she and the kids literally go into witness protection (new names, new identities, completely cut off from your old life), Nutjob is going to track her down (through relatives, etc etc) at some point.

This comes back to the point that the penalties for violating PPO-type decrees need to be much much stricter -- that even the dumbest and most irrational of all irrational dumb shits will think to themselves, "holy shit, I better not violate the PPO."

Draft saved Draft deleted