1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As if getting beaten wasn't enough, you're fired!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt1735, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This.

Such as: hiring a competent security firm to keep watch over the school, and keeping in close touch with local police, who would have an action plan set up for Ex-Hubby in the case he violated the PPO, which would involve him being transported from the scene strapped to a stretcher.

That can still happen anyway. Who's to say this nut wouldn't say, "OK, if I can't get my hands on HER, I will take it out on the school which had the temerity to hire her in the past."

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

These situations don't simmer down. It will stay calm until he gets out of prison, but the thing is, the prison system isn't too effective at notifying interested parties when people are released. He could have a three-day (or more) head start.

They put her on leave in January when he showed up in the parking lot. This decision is just making that leave permanent. I suppose they could have carried her salary for a year until she finds a new start, but I don't see any way they can put her back in the school.

She should be getting 1,500 miles away anyway. She and her children are in extreme danger where they are.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

So the school and/or parents of other students should have to foot the bill for this woman's poor choice in a spouse?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Why should the taxpayers foot the bill for this school's owner to be tax-exempt?

5. Starman

The "woman's poor choice in a spouse" is a factor out of control of the school, an "act of god."

It is comparable to a situation where a mad dog sets up camp just outside the school grounds. It will cost money but you do whatever you have to, to get rid of the mad dog.

6. LongTimeListener

Baron, on point as always.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That's what they did. They did what they had to do to get rid of the "mad dog." They fired his wife.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I can see the school's side, too. Who wants to be the next Sandy Hook when some gun-wielding pyscho goes nuts? Would you want to take a chance on your kids getting caught in the crossfire?

They can find another teacher. She can find another job.

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The church can show some leadership to help find a solution. As mentioned, put her on leave with pay but for the love of god, help this woman.

It stuns me that people think the school should just wash their hands of her. I thought the church was supposed to show leadership.

Some of you are pretty heartless.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Same principle. The old "Why should I pay for this?" argument goes both ways.

And as far as "Well, we don't want to be the next victims", then why build a Freedom Tower for more terrorists to target?

11. Starman

As noted about four posts above, RIGHT NOW, the mad dog can come back any time he gets it into his crazy mad-dog mind.

In fact, now that the wife and kids who were the focus of the PPO are no longer on the premises, he can probably do it entirely legally.

Until he decides to break out the firearms.

12. LongTimeListener

Really, Chet, ask yourself what you'd think if the news story comes across next November that he went to school and killed the woman and three of her students. We aren't talking 1-in-a-million here. We're talking, if he gets close enough to her, he is going to try to kill her. We know this.

Draft saved Draft deleted