1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As if getting beaten wasn't enough, you're fired!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt1735, Jun 13, 2013.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Cranberry posted, "Who would dare hire this woman whose mere presence could portend violence upon their own workplaces?"

Unless he meant to use the blue font, he is presuming that no one would hire her.

So she is already "further victimized," is she not?

So the argument is basically, "No one else will hire her . . . so YOU (the Church) MUST keep her employed."

They could do it, I suppose. But they MUST do nothing of the sort. Their obligation is no greater than the 29,000 other places that wouldn't hire her.

There seems to be this disconnect on here where it's acceptable to be unhireable . . . but unacceptable to be fireable.

Same result: Out of a job.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

We'd be better off if you did.

---

There is a legitimate safety concern for hundreds of children. There also is a way to do things that involves not coming off as a total douche organization. But this is the Church we're talking about.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Wonderful strawman you built there. Instead of arguing right and wrong, let’s ascribe a motive to someone so that the supposed motive could be attacked.

All the hypotheticals in the world do not matter a lick unless you are comparing apples to apples.

What if someone decided to be a crazy fan of yours? Should you be fired if that crazy fan showed up at your work? A lot of writers receive hate mail. Should companies fire them because people are angry about what is written and those crazed mailers could possibly show up with a gun?

If you want to go the hypothetical route, why can’t we just call this ex-husband a terrorist? He’s terrorizing his family. Since when is it a good idea to give in to terrorist demands? That’s why it is cowardice.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Why don't you go and brush up on what a strawman is and then we'll chat.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Beef up security? I thought we were banning guns from schools to protect kids.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Feel free to point me to any phrase in the post of mine you quoted that says they should have to keep her in the position that she's in.

I'm not saying they should be forced to keep her on. I'm saying they're assholes for firing her. There's a difference.

And for what it's worth, I'd say that if they were Catholic, Methodist, Jew or Pastafarian. It's rather tiring to be accused of prejudice against a particular religion for criticizing it. Maybe if the Catholic Church didn't do so many things worthy of criticism, it wouldn't be criticized as much.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah let's put guns in the schools, that'll be the answer.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

they're already there, what we need to do is make sure every student and teacher is equally armed.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Something like that actually happened in a school I attended years ago (1970s). Some kid comes down with some rare infection that is little understood but causes a lot of panic, not sure if it is contagious or not. A few parents have a little meeting with the principal of this private school and make it clear either the kid leaves or THEIR kids leave. Kid doesn't come back the following Monday. School, at least in that case, has the absolute right to dismiss anyone at anytime with or without cause. End of case.

Draft saved Draft deleted