1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As if getting beaten wasn't enough, you're fired!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt1735, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Teacher at a Catholic School, beaten by her husband, tells her principal to be on the lookout for him, but she has a restraining order. When he shows up, he's arrested and she's put on leave (and her kids are kicked out of the school)... Now, she's fired.

Reason: Too big of a risk to have her/them at the school in case he gets out of jail and goes on a rampage.

God love society...

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/holy-trinity-school-el-cajon-san-diego-teacher-fired-211244611.html

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm not sure exactly what you'd call it, firing does seem harsh, but I certainly wouldn't send my kids to school knowing how easily they could get in the way of a violent domestic situation. They already had a school lockdown when he showed up in the parking lot.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Good thing there's no union to interfere with the school doing things the way it sees fit.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So basically the school is admitting that its security isn't good enough to handle an intruder that they know could show up. Given recent events, I'd be a hell of a lot more concerned about that than I would be about firing this teacher.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

No, they appeared to fire her over money -- the money they figured they would lose because of the parent movement to pull their kids out of school.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

That's the kind of leadership the Catholic church is known for.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can't believe there are people in the world who think the school should keep this woman on.

So you would all be OK with your kids' school employing a woman whose husband is violently stalking her and has previously shown up at the school? That's great. She could use a fresh start. Tell your schools to hire her.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I agree. She chose her partner, why should everybody else be put at risk?

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

There were other options than firing her.

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I can't believe there are people in the world who think the school should fire this woman.

She didn't choose to have her EX-husband stalk her. She didn't choose to be a victim of domestic violence. In fact, she's done everything right - getting restraining orders, involving police, notifying her workplace so they can call authorities if he shows up.

As someone who has worked extensively with victims of domestic violence I'm appalled at this school's behavior. The fact that it's a parochial school only makes it that much worse. A Christian community should be supporting this woman, not casting her out.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think it leaves a bad taste in peoples' mouths, because 1) it is punishing the victim, 2) her kids were punished too, and 3) This is the same diocese that paid out a huge sexual abuse settlement (and I think went bankrupt because of it).

They paid hundreds of millions of dollars of hush money because of priests abusing children, but when it comes to this they can't figure out a better way than firing the woman and booting her kids from the school?

If she gets paid like most Catholic school teachers they could have put her on leave for a year and let things simmer down, and they would have been out $30K or $40K. Instead, they are going to pay that much in legal fees to deal with this now, and they look like bad guys on top of it.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

... including having the school shot up.

Draft saved Draft deleted