1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As if Auburn wasn't already having a bad month

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 28, 2015.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Auburn fires baseball coach Sunny Golloway "for cause" after just two seasons. No buyout.

Golloway's attorney has gone past irate and straight to nuclear.

Attorney: Auburn firing Sunny Golloway is 'outrageous'

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Want to see some entertaining reading, check out the comments section in the al.com story on this. Best I can tell, Galloway's disposition was anything but "Sunny" and he pissed off the wrong people at Auburn.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

what does the term "pre-textual" mean?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To be fired for cause, he must have knowingly violated NCAA rules, committed a crime, embarrassed the university through immoral conduct or annoyed one prominent booster.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Well, reading the first batch of comments, they seem to like ripping on Alabama and Saban more than commenting on the actual story above.

And I wonder if the Auburn administrators were suspicious of him because he spelled his first name with a "u" instead of an "o."

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Former Sooner Joe Simpson when Golloway left Oklahoma for Auburn:

“I'm so thrilled that he's gone that they could hire a basset hound and it would be an improvement,” said Simpson, an Atlanta Braves broadcaster the past two decades.

“I haven't had anything to do with the program since near the end of the Larry Cochell era. I didn't want to have anything to do with it as long as Sunny Golloway was the head coach because I think he's a sorry individual. I think he's a bad guy. I want to thank Auburn University for taking him off our hands and getting him out of Norman.”

Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It means taking an action for one reason, but claiming another reason - usually mundane and technical. That second reason is the "pretext" for your action, which is really the first reason.

It typically comes up in the context of traffic stops. Or at least that's when lawyers seem to use it the most. Lets say Officer Bob sees an African-American male driving a nice car on the bad side of town and thinks to himself, hmm, I really want to pull him over. Well, Bob would wait until he does something minor, like only wait 2 seconds at a stop sign instead of 3, and then pull him over. That would be an example of a pretextual stop.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  8. dixiehack

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Maybe he had an affair with Lane Kiffin. NTTAWWT.

10. dixiehack

That particular grease fire may flare up again in December.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not sorry about any of this happening at Auburn. Been delish to watch that fraud football team and coach melt down. Hope the SEC media that picked Auburn to win the conference, Jeremy Johnson to win the Heisman and Auburn to make the CFP just because Gus Malzahn said they were good, won't drink the kool-aid at next year's media days.

Draft saved Draft deleted