1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As I wade through the latest round of "BCS SUCKS!!! columns, a question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Nov 12, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't know. When there are large amounts of money involved, college presidents will do a lot. You think they're going to take $25 million less a year to be on free-to-air?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I would assume that the deal would be the way it is for Pats games (and all other teams) for games on cable, either ESPN or NFL Network. That is, local stations for the teams involved pay ESPN for the rights to simulcast the game. So if the championship game was Alabama-Oklahoma (just a random choice) stations in Birmingham, Tulsa, etc, would have the game over the air. Same for the other BCS bowls. That arrangement would do a lot to quell POLITICAL objections, since the most devoted fans would have their case handled.
    I know there are people who don't have cable TV, but the only one I know personally is my uncle in St. Louis. He's 90, so advertisers are not beating a path to his door.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

P.S. ESPN just ran a crawl announcing that beginning in 2010, they will carry all four rounds of the Open Championship a/k/a the British Open.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fucking awesome. can't. wait.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

I think the folks who run The Open were scared TNT would let Charles Barkley be an on-course reporter.

Draft saved Draft deleted