1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As I wade through the latest round of "BCS SUCKS!!! columns, a question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Is this going to be allowed to quietly happen? ESPN's bid for the BCS games is the highest as of now, and the plan would be to move all five games to cable TV.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/125438

Yes, I know. "Everyone has cable." Not everyone; some would watch an ESPN, but can't justify the expense based on the fact other channels would never be watched.

Is this a big deal or not? USA Today noted that many big events have already moved to cable.

Anyway, it seems like every year the same columnists wail that we "NEED!!!!" a playoff in college football, how the BCS sucks, etc. I hope some of them decide to touch on this issue that, you know, actually affects consumers.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Technically all the college football broadcasts on ABC are ESPN productions. ABC does not do college football anymore.

Is it possible people are assuming these games will be on cable and not on ABC?

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

There's no assumption, AQB. ESPN is running on its crawl that the BCS games will be broadcast on ESPN if it wins the bid.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Except the Rose Bowl, which will be on ABC.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm surprised the Rose Bowl isn't trying to draw a bid from the Dumont Network.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

They should put all big sporting events on obscure channels. That way people would have a reason to read the newspaper.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

But will all those copy editors in India be able to work through the gamers?

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

From the link:

"If ABC/ESPN ultimately wins the bid and moves even one BCS game to ESPN, it would trigger a clause in its Rose Bowl contract that would allow it to immediately take the annual game in Pasadena from its home of 21 years on ABC to the cable channel."

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They could just start the game on ABC, then switch to ESPN2 when it's time for America's Funniest Home Videos.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If moving it to cable means the kickoff times are earlier, I'd be OK with it.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

I'm doing the Orange Bowl and BCS title game for Fox this year, so maybe my opinion is null and void.
    However, that they would move all of this to cable - I'd find it to be blasphemy.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

If I'm an ABC affiliate, I'm pissed...they destroyed ABC Sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted