1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As high as a Carbo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 3, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That should be the new term, because Red Sox folk hero Bernie Carbo ...

... in the 1975 World Series.

Oh, he also played every game high, got started when the Cincinnati trainer gave him "vitamins" that were amphetamines, had a father who never said "I love you" and who didn't even call him after his big Game 6 HR, was sexually abused by an cousin, traded baseballs to fans in the stands for marijuana joints, and sold drugs to other player (but they would never tell).

According to him.

Read all about it here: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2010/04/01/cleaned_up_hitter/?page=1

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I read this story the other day and while I found the subject matter interesting, I found the story itself poorly written and hard to read.

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

To be fair, the author of this piece is a two-time Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer. When he writes, he does a nice job of getting people to open up and has a fine eye for small details.
    But the editing!! Outfield as out field ... and quotation marks missing or out of place. Too bad such an interesting story makes smart readers cringe.

Draft saved Draft deleted