1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As expected, Giants retain Coughlin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jan 10, 2007.

1. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Coughlin should have been fired. Keeping him on based on the Eagles game is like counting on a pitcher who was awful all year, but had 3 good starts at the end of the season. You need to evaluate the whole season, not just the end. This is a move that will bite the Giants next season. Once the players tune you out, it's over.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing they just want to hold on to him for another year before they wait to try to lure Cowher/Weis/Parcells to NYC next season... Short of the Giants making the Super Bowl next season, Coughlin will not be there in 2008.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

An insane decision. Giant fans may as well peddle their '07 season tickets now, to suckers with
    the deepest pockets.

And you'll NEVER see Weis or Cowher in NY, with that outfit. Never. NEVER. Get over it.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'm glad Coughlin stayed because it will give the New York media another chance to continue their mild-mannered, fact-based tactics of 2006.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

This move seems to be based around a few things:
    1) Next year's potential coaches.
    2) Wellington having selected Coughlin.
    3) Not wanting a lame duck coach next year.

I doubt he makes the playoffs next year but who knows.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly, especially with regards to Cowher in 2008. Short drive from the Meadowlands to Princeton to catch his daughters' games.

7. donnie23

donnie23 Member

Just one mild bone of contention here: Barber was not at all a scatback. We're probably talking about more of a Dave Meggett type (and yes, I realize the doors that name could open around here.)

It just seems to me that, with the boat already rocking from Accorsi and Tiki leaving, the powers that be didn't want to completely capsize it by sacking Coughlin too, however deserved it might have been. There's just no way he's around in 2008, and God bless whoever inherits Eli Manning and his lack of anything resembling leadership or even a personality.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They had to re-up Coughlin. No sane man would come in as GM if the Giants were also in the midst of a coaching search.

9. tommyp

tommyp Member

Barber was the featured back, but they really didn't discover that until 2001. Early in his career, he was the third-down back and punt returner. Within that, his second season was marred by a slump related to his inability to catch the ball.

Jacobs has the ability to be a different type of runner. His bruising style was being shown off because he had to play that role as the Giants had had problems with that facet of their game for years. Now, with Jacobs as the featured back (and you will be surprised at his speed in the open field), they would need a Barber-early-in-his-career type in order to change the pace. That sounds like a scatback to me, and the perfect opportunity to draft a player like that, or pick up a free agent.

That's why I'm pulling for Cowher or Weis. I think they can both find a way into his head.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Brandon Jacobs will be a stud. I didn't think so until half way through the season and the Giants ran a widereceiver type screen for Jacobs. He not only showed nice hands, but in the open field he was crazy good. He's bull strong and runs upfield. He may not have the cut back ability of Tki, but Jacobs will not be one armed tackled behind the line.
    Giants could use a third down back, but they have signficantly more holes than RB.
    CB
    CB
    CB
    LB
    CB
    OL
    OL
    WR

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Brandon Jacobs deserves a shot, for sure. He's big but has quick feet and speed that you wouldn't expect from a back that size. He's Jerome Bettis, except a slicker version that needs to learn how to become a more physical back.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

One of the monelia in the cancer patient has chosen to excise himself, the team should be fine. The other's career is at its terminal point. Fuck you, Brett Favre.

Draft saved Draft deleted