1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

as a tribute to Challenger, Columbia and Apollo 1...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

If you listen to the new Art Bell (Coast to Coat AM) show, astronauts were told not to come back (by beings already there). That's why we took a couple of rocks and left.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Listening to Art Bell for informational purposes is always a great idea if you intend to engage in conversation with brain-functional primates. ::) ::)

3. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I am truly saddened by this. One of the great things about mankind is an urge to explore, to seek out and to discover. I can't help but think we're stifling that.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

We've been stifling it for a long time. This is just the official announcement.

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Don't be so sure.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

We landed on the moon six times. Guess we weren't that intimidated.

7. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Actually, the "teabagger" label was teed up by a couple of the nutjobs who appeared on Fox waving tea bags around.

And the fact that it obviously gets on the righties' nerves pretty much guarantees that it's not going away any time soon.

8. Starman

Obama's bending over to appease the "cut my taxes right this goddamn minute" screechers. Feeding them the manned space program as a sacrificial lamb.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter how cool space exploration is. We can't afford it. We are a country living on credit.

10. Starman

We can spend a billion bucks a week in Afghanistan.

11. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

So why don't you elect a president who promises to bring...oh wait.

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

The story goes on to note the potential of private space flights to the ISS. I grew up in the moon age, but isn't it better to use that as a more cost-efficient space transportation system if the Shuttle is being shuttered? (As an aside, why a whole new moonshot operation? Did they lose the plans for the Saturn V and LEM? Geez, that even had a buggy.)

Draft saved Draft deleted