1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As a stringer, do I have the right to complain about copy editors?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Sep 14, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

shot, to clarify: It's time-dependent, and I am not, nor have I ever been, a slot editor.

I am a lowly copy editor, who is reading copy at 5 p.m. If I don't have time to call a writer for 2-3 inches cut that they can then use at another time, then I need to work on my time scheduling skills.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hey Webby ... too late to allow handle changes in special cases?

Watching this character desecrate Gandhi's name turns my stomach.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Superfly:

Don't take this the wrong way, but you sound like a major tool.

I know if a writer told me the article I'm paid to edit were his "intellectual property," I'd laugh long and loud immediately. And several minutes later. And days later. And weeks later.

I'll start doing that right now.

4. BH33

BH33 Member

First of all Superfly, you can make a lot of money as a stringer if you build up your network the right way. So, while most of us want to be beat writers or columnists or whatever, stringing isn't a bad gig.

Second, you may not want to be a career stringer, but you're a stringer now. So, get used to your stuff being cut and re-worked.

Third, if you want to improve, take an objective look at the edited copy that appeared in the paper. I'd be willing to bet that if you put your ego aside, you'll see that the condensed version of your story that appeared in the paper was a cleaner, more to-the-point (translation: better) game story. Learn from that, and write that way the next time.

Writers, by nature, have an ego about their stuff. I'm the same way. Sometimes you've got to check that ego at the door and realize that there's many, many, many people out there who are better than you, and there are many, many, many copy-editors out there who can clean up your story and make it better. It's just a fact - not just for you, but for most of us out there.

If an error is put into your story, ask why.

If your lead was changed, ask in a way that shows you're trying to understand so you can get better.

If your story is cut from 16 to 14 or 12 inches, keep your mouth shut and realize it's part of the job.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm embarrassed that I missed the "intellectual property" thing.

That was worth a good chuckle ... thanks.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, still trying to wipe a little vodka and diet dp off the screen.

7. KP

KP Active Member

About the intellectual property, it would appear that I am selling the intellectual property when I file. At least that's what all the paperwork I've ever signed says.

Writer sends story, paper becomes owner of sent story, writer gets peanuts and a cookie.

If I've ever had a problem/question the SEs I've dealt with have always been open to providing an explanation/feedback/critique. Just realize it may take some time for them to get around to do the question. Just remember, go in with the wrong attitude and the SE can quickly lose your phone number/email.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

At my paper, we had a stringer (driunk, likely) e-mail our SE complaining about changes in his copy, referring to whoever on the sports desk who edited it as "fucktards."
    He was politiely told to vamoose, got a staff job at a smaller daily nearby, and recently got laid off. Fucktard had the temerity to call back here looking for work again, and received a well-deserved cold shoulder for his trouble.

9. here is some more that might turn your stomach...you self righteous bastard:

http://www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/gandtantric.htm

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Your movie was too damn long. We had to cut it.

11. Nice...that's a good one.

Draft saved Draft deleted