1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As a stringer, do I have the right to complain about copy editors?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Sep 14, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, also, Frank, there's a great disparity in what a "slot" does if you run the gamut of newspapers -- meaning those who even work with what could be called a "sports desk."

At my place, we've never run with a system where the "slot" reads a majority of the stories. Each editor handles X number of pages in the course of a night, and has another editor proof the page before sending it to press. What we consider "slot" is whomever has the cover on that particular night, because that's the editor who decides what actions to take if news breaks.

Which, I guess, really doesn't have anything to do with the question here. Just a point of order.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Well, it's true that different newspapers use slot as a name for different functions. At some papers the person designing the cover is the slot and is in charge that night. At some papers the person designing the cover is in charge, but the person serving as last eyes on the copy (after the rim reads it) is called the slot but is not in charge of the section. At other papers, the person designing the cover is not in charge, the slot (last eyes on the copy) is. At some places neither is in charge, there is a night sports editor. But in any case, I can't see the person called "slot" being so bored he just has to fuck with a story to amuse himself. It's a busy job no matter what.

3. You're right. A simple mistake, it's been a while...not the Slot guy, I meant the REM chief....or whatever that individual is called now.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Michael Stipe butchered your story?

You must mean the rim chief or copy chief, also called the slot. As I said, he's going to be too busy to mess with something that's all right. He must have thought it was really bad if he invested time to rewrite it.

5. Hey Ridgeway...

Go fuck yourself hoser.

There was a RIM chief and a Slot guy. You stupid fuck...you get the gist, you're just being a loser as usual.

Whatever the case, I admitted it was my fault that I did not understand the policy, nor the copy editor's taste, etc. In fact, you're probably the cocksucker that read the story...that's why your being a prick.

Ladies and gentleman, meet Mr. Censorship, Frank_Ridgeway

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Would you really let this man edit your copy, gandhi?

[​IMG]

Incidentally, if he were being a prick, he would have jumped on your inability to differentiate between "you're" and "your."

7. That's greatness...

Yeah I fight that one all the time. Your and You're...about 80% of the time I catch it. That leaves 20% too much for a copy editor...but you get the idea. I'm just typing fast.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You're a fucking hero, man. The Mets and Yankees should wear caps with your initials on them.

Post your address so I can send away for an autographed picture.

9. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

I'll say it again...we stringers are in the CUSTOMER SERVICE business first and foremost...we all get edited, we all get cut, and if we want to get repeat business, we take what we can from it and provide better service next time...the only time I say anything is if an error is introduced, but that happens very rarely...I've gotten to know all the copy editors by name at all my major clients, and take great pains to be as co-operative as possible...in tone, in attitude, in every regard...So long as the $$$ on the check aren't edited downward, you have no beef...

10. Some observations on the responses to my original post.

1) Thank you all for reading and responding; I appreciate criticism and advice.

2) The overwhelming majority of you suggested that I gently question the reason of the cut.

3) Some of you sound like career stringers, which I hope not to be. I look at my story as my intellectual property, and I have a right — and obligation to myself and my future — to defend it. I'm trying to improve, not to just get by. In 30 years, I hope to look at my current stories and laugh at them.

4) I am not stringing for money. I am 22 years old and get by just fine. I string for the clip and for the resume. At 22, the $60 I get for a story means an extra night out. I'm lucky I don't have anyone to support, but that's just what it is — party cash.

5) When applying for jobs, should I try and string for many multiple newspapers and use a variety of clips, or just the best ones I've written?

Thanks again guys

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Your attitude toward Frank_Ridgeway doesn't warrant any praise.

But this does. That "cut from the bottom" rule applies in any story filed on deadline, gamer or otherwise.

As a writer, put the important stuff at the top -- do NOT put important stuff at the bottom. It almost certainly will get cut.

And if it does get cut, don't whine about it. Find out why, perhaps, but don't whine about it. 12 inches down to 10, or 15 down to 12, is not a huge cut when it comes to a deadline situation.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

super,

From someone who has been in the business a while:

I respect writers who show an interest in their stories. How it was edited, played, etc.

But that is something of a fine line. I respect dedication but I don't want any attitude. I may take it from a beat writer protecting his/her turf or something but I will explain (if I can) why a story was edited or cut the way it way.

Your best response is a thank you and I'll remember that in the future. Not a "What, are you crazy? That was my best stuff."

Believe me, some writers are a bit obstinate. But with stringers, I don't have to deal with that if I choose not to.

And you are writing for the money. You just don't know it yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted