1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Artie quits Howard Stern, (tries to) beat crap out of assistant...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Bring back Jackie the Jokeman!

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm listening to this right now, still on the first part.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Not true.
    They had 1.8 million subs before Howard - in that 1st year, they added only 1 million. They would have gotten the biggest jump due to him in that time frame.
    He's not the sole reason for the jump, even if he wants you to believe that. Proportionally, XM has added the same amount.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

That was entertaining. A little surprised Artie didn't have a heart attack.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

When Q107 in Toronto picked up Stern in September, 1997 I thought it was the greatest radio I'd ever heard, light years removed from the awful Morning Zoo/Breakfast Flakes kind of morning shows I'd been subjected to.

Instead of lame-ass wake-up calls of visiting movie stars, Stern actually got these people on. I loved the unpredictability of it, never knowing when something would blow up in the studio.

Q evemntually figured he was too expensive and brought their own guy in who ogled strippers, berated his interns and talked about whacking off. Yawn....

I haven't heard Howie in years but I'll be looking forward to getting caught up with this.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

There was a "gentleman" named Don Imus whose show was popular way before Howard gained a foothold.

There were also plenty of "shock jocks" before him. Stern didn't invent the genre, nor was he th first to gain national acclaim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_jock

I've posted before that Artie's arrival coincided with the show morphing from Howard and a bunch of equals, with Jackie and Fred speaking often and loudly, to Howard and a group of sycophantic ass kissers.

Haven't heard the show since the move to satellite, but Artie was a bore when it was still on terrestrial radio. He had his moments, but you always sensed that he was hoping to speak quickly so he could plant his lips back on Howard's ass.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

personally, i thought stern was at his best in the mid-to-late '80s when he was on am radio in n.y., afternoon drivetime. i'd drive home in daily traffic and wouldn't mind, i'd be laughing so hard. when he moved to fm in the mornings and grew more outrageous, i thought it also became les funny. such is life.

one man's opinion.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

And Baba Booey to y'all....

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not a Stern fan, but I don't think you can blame him for Cowherd or Smith.
    First, I think they are part of two distinct, if related, streams.
    Second, in the end, it's like blaming Hollywood for making bad movies or bad TV shows. Pointless.
    The blame lies with the people who make up the market for inferior products, who intentionally seek out intentionally inferior products.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I love when my rental car has Sirius so I can listen to Stern, it's like a nice treat, but I think it would get old if I listened to him regularly.

11. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Artie hasn't been funny for a few months now. It's gotten painful to listen to him self destruct. The "faggot" and other assorted gay jokes (bashing) have been utterly pathetic.

Him quitting the Stern show was a predictable part of his downward spiral. If he's alive in 2009, it'll be a small miracle.

12. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

What's been happening to him?

Draft saved Draft deleted