1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Artie Lange hospitalized

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cjericho, Oct 16, 2017.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've heard a chunk of his standup. I thought it was painfully unfunny. Just a guy who can't deliver a joke for shit telling stories that aren't nearly as good as he seems to think they are.

(And for what it's worth, I'm not a Howard Stern listener, so I had no preconceived expectations. Fans may have a different experience.)

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I've listened to Stern for the better part of 20 years.
    I don't recall one thing Lange said that had me laugh out loud that there wasn't a softball thrown up by someone else.
    That may be why I kind of enjoyed it. I think he works well in a group setting, but he's probably way too arrogant for that.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I listened to Stern back in the day when they transitioned from Jackie the Joke man to Artie Lange. I'm honestly not sure I ever laughed at anything Lange said and he's why I quit listening to Stern among other reasons.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Was working in NYC a few years ago and Artie was appearing at the Comedy Cellar. Only reason I decided to go (although I've always enjoyed going there). As somebody said, he was painfully unfunny. It was almost as if he didn't care. Now, as they're winding down, I look over my shoulder since I was sitting near the kitchen/bar and who is standing there but Ben Bailey of Cash Cab fame. He did 45 minutes and after a slow start, the final 30-35 minutes were freaking hysterical. My jaws were hurting from laughing so hard when I left.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm a Jackie guy, too, but Artie did provide a jolt of sorts when he came on board. It's amazing how both are now so bitter over the Stern thing.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

In the Jackie era, Howard was first among relative equals. Artie was of a generation that grew up on Howard and therefore took a subservient role. Along with Howard’s divorce, it changed the dynamic of the show permanently for the worse.

As I wrote on an earlier thread, it’s obvious that Artie has no self-esteem and he felt that he needed to engage in self-destructive behavior in order to justify his spot on the show. It’s sad.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I remember listening in the mid-'90s. He was never going to be Imus, until he became Imus.

poindexter likes this.
  8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Exactly.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Artie is now tweeting in tongues. His stupid is too strong for me to try and decipher it.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

138 people liked it
    68 people don't know what he's talking about

11. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about this person other than what I hear from --sort of in a distance-- I guess you could say, in passing. Has he ever said what happened to him in his life to make him such a tortured soul? I wonder if we knew about the childhood of these type of celebrities or other people in public who are like this , if it would ever help in stopping some of these awful cycles of behavior?

12. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Artie talks about his past a lot. I think he'd attribute at least some of his troubles to a particular trauma: his father falling off a ladder while installing an antenna and becoming a quadriplegic.

lakefront likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted