1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Artie Lange hospitalized

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cjericho, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I heard someone call him John Belushi without the comedic skills or talent.
    Loved him on Stern.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Posted this in the Norm MacDonald thread, but it involves Artie too. One of the funniest TV arcs in history was the sequence with Artie and Norm both telling Bob Uecker stories on Letterman (and then the uncensored versions on Stern). Here's a compilation:

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I will get crucified for this, but I think Belushi is wildly overrated. I am old enough to remember him from SNL etc and just never thought he was that funny. Artie is a helluva lot more witty than Belushi, who was to be fair known for his physical comedy. To say Artie has no talent is just false

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Think Belushi's forte definitely was physical comedy. Artie's forte is probably standup or more so story telling, which made him great on Stern.

OscarMadison and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I could not disagree more. I thought Lange was overrated.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was watching the "classic" re-run NBC shows on Saturday (it featured Petty's first appearance). What struck me is you just didn't see Murray or Curtin even looking at the cue cards during the opening sketch, maybe they knew their lines, or it wasn't as rigid as it is now.
    While I do think the "first" cast is great, a lot of their greatness is that they were first. They set the template. For that - sure, they are overrated. The Phil Hartman/Dana Carvey/Dennis Miller/Jan Hooks/Mike Myers era might have been better. Oh yeah, those years also included early Sandler, Chris Rock and Chris Farley.

OscarMadison and Riptide like this.
  7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Man, would I love to hear that story about Don Drysdale and Frank Sinatra.

Chef2 and Steak Snabler like this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I agree. They seem like an odd duo to compare comedically. What, they're both overweight guys with a permanent five o'clock shadow?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He was always a sad figure to me. He has no self-esteem or self-control, but had to do crazy things in order to justify his continued place on Stern. I’m shocked he’s lasted this long.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Don't eyeball me, tough guy...."

Love that movie

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted