1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Artie Lange destroys Joe Buck

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bullwinkle, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Artie on stage or on Stern is much different than Artie on a taped late-night show like Letterman. Anybody who has ever seen anything Artie does live knows that he is disgusting, raunchy and immature.

Evidently, Joe Buck did not know this.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No, but comedians through the years have been drug addicts, and his stories are fantastic.

Youtube Artie Lange and Ash Wednesday. Great stuff. The man has lived a sinful life but it makes for great stories.

3. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

You must not be within shouting distance of the Midwest cuz if you were you'd understand thousands of people still follow the guy's every move.

Folks here hate him but fans, particularly in the Midwest, are hanging on every twist and turn of the "story."

We may not like it, but that's the reality.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't hold the drug addiction against Lange when evaluating his comedy. I do hold his lack of talent against him.

Not even on the same planet as Carlin and Pryor.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's debatable that Lange is probably less funny than unfunny Robyn.

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Agreed.

The Mt. Rushmore of comedians: Carlin, Pryor and....Lange? :eek:

7. 93Devil

No, Geddon, but ripping a comedian for doing drugs is like ripping a sumo wrestler for being fat.

I think a lot of you are underestimating Lange's talent. He is a story teller and has a very quick wit.

He is not on the Rushmore, but on the Stern Show he is fantastic.

I do agree with you about Robin, though.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And even when Buck presumably tried to be funny -- "I think that's in chin 4" -- Lange still, like any good standup, answered and one-upped -- "4, the show you won't get to."

Buck couldn't even play along well. He doesn't play the straight man well, and his feigned betrayal didn't play well. It was a waste of a segment on a waste of a show.

9. 93Devil

They were arguing on Stern this morning that Lange aided the show because people are talking about (or posting about) the show.

And you know who wins out? Stern, because I will be damn sure to listen to the replay on the ride home.

10. imjustagirl

The fact you listen to Stern drops you 12 more notches on my list. You don't have that many more to mess with. :D

11. 93Devil

I am not crazy about the lesbian or the sex stuff he does, but no one, and I mean no one, does a better interview than Stern (well the guy on the Actor's Studio is very good). Maybe it's the fact that the guests are predisposed to be open when they walk through the door, but what is discussed is fantastic.

Plus, the conversations about what happens in their everyday life (Gary's first pitch, Artie's addictions) are great, great radio.

12. imjustagirl

I guess I just don't care how good the interviews are because I wouldn't care about any of the questions asked to any of the guests on the Howard Stern show. Unless his guest list and/or interview skills have improved dramatically from when his show used to be on TV.

Draft saved Draft deleted