1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Artie Lange back on the radio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Jul 6, 2011.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Joe Buck had no comment on Artie's appearance with Nick on Bruno's show.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He and Joe Buck buried the hatchet ages ago...

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Agree completely with everything you've posted in this thread. Even listeners could tell Lange was high as shit almost every day and was heading toward a bad, bad ending, yet Stern ignored it all for the sake of great radio, all the while trying to preach how they were "bros". Stern is a genius on the radio, but that whole saga told me all I need to know about him as a person.

If you haven't, search for "Artie Lange Addiction Saga" on youtube. It has hours and hours of tape from the Stern show, and you can literally hear Lange sink deeper and deeper into his addiction. Very sad.

The current Stern show is almost unbearable to me, and it has little to do with Lange. It's so obvious that Stern wanted the one final 9-figure contract and he has checked out when it comes to effort. Now he's cutting back to 3-day weeks, probably permanently? I would be stunned if he is there for the length of his current contract.

4. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, Stern is clearly phoning it in for the last contract. He's so good that he can do that and still be better than just about everything else out there. Three days a week and 40 weeks a year is just absurd.

For me, Carolla's podcast has replaced Stern as the best thing out there...

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Stern has become everything he railed against when he was just starting to make a name for himself. Divorced the college sweetheart and married the hot blonde model. Has a house in the Hamptons and is now as mainstream as those people he used to start wars with (Chevy, Rosie O'Donnell, etc.). The only time I listen now is when he has a comedian on that I'm interested in, and even that's becoming fewer and farer between. You always got the sense that Howard was all about the money when the fame started to set in (book deal, the E! show, then movie, then that God awful "Son of the Beach," now Sirius and Howard TV On Demand), but now it's just more painfully obvious now.

If this is what Howard was going to reduce himself to, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd rather Sirius had kept Bubba the Love Sponge.

6. Mizzougrad96

He's definitely lost his edge. The only people he goes after anymore are either easy targets or his own staff.

He rarely has guests anymore. I have zero interest in the "Made for TV" Howard TV Girl of the Month promos that seem to happen way more than they should. It's been a long time since there's been an OMG! moment that used to seem to happen daily and happened quite a bit when Lange was still on.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any disputing that Stern is the current-day version of Don Imus. And considering how much hatred Stern used to claim to have for everything that Imus is and was, that's pretty sad.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Too bad I didn't hear about it. Nevertheless, Buck did look uncomfortable, which was the highlight of my life.

9. Mizzougrad96

At least he's not trying to sell us salsa or talking to us about sending kids to his ranch so they can be his slaves.

10. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Did Geraldo's passing have anything to do with Lange wanting to commit suicide?

I stopped listening to Stern some years back, but I concur, Lange was pretty funny on that show, in an unfortunate, pathetic kind of way.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

We've easily had this exact same thread here ten times.

12. Mizzougrad96

Giraldo's death was after Lange's suicide attempt, but the two always seemed like friends when Giraldo was on Stern.

Draft saved Draft deleted