1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

art or offensive?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Dec 2, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Don't laugh. Georgia's just got overturned in 1998. I know a few other states' did in the mid-1990s, too.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Demonstrably?

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Minnesota's was around the turn of the millenium.

A few states still have them on the books.

4. I was born and raised Republican I think it is funny. I am offended that anyone would be offended by it...if it were Hillary in a bikini, now THAT would be offensive ;D

5. Lotsa other things a helluva lot more offensive than this. No biggie here.

Is it art? Good question.

6. BBJones

BBJones Guest

It's offensive that someone might consider that art.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Someone mentioned Hillary in a bikini earlier...not that I'd want to see HRC showing skin, but exhibits like this actually humanize the subject. No beef with that here. In fact, I think it would have been equally funny to do the same with Democratic candidates.

Actually, a shot of Obama like this could then be touched up even more, making him blacker, or whiter, like they did with OJ back in the 1990s, for an entirely different kind of display.

How about a gallery that changes the race/sex of officials? A black George Bush? A white Barack?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't see why anyone would want to display it in a public library.

As far as art, I guess it is -- rudimentary use of photoshop is about as artistic as finger painting, methinks.

9. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I don't think the photos are a big deal, but why shove your politics down someone else's throat? Republican or Democrat, what happened to just keeping it in the voting booth?

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Politics, religion, sex and money...the driving force behind quite a few pieces of the great art of the world.

I have zero problem with this.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's not offensive. It's too obvious and banal.
    It's not art either. It's not even creative, let alone artistic.

Draft saved Draft deleted