1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arriving to an empty building

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by valpo87, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I do believe in working and doing my best. Seems like most around here don't.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Your company lawyer would love hearing you say that. Especially during the civil suit deposition or in the report to the Department of Labor.

Your response also reiterates Starman's point. Time is valuable, and the reporter's time is wasted when they go to attend an event and the event isn't happening on time for circumstances that are in someone's control.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I can't figure out whether you're a socket puppet, a troll or both. There are plenty of us on this board with years of experience who know what we're doing. Given your insolent attitude, I'd probably be the one firing you.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'd fire your ass during the first day for enabling and encouraging dumbshit coaches and ADs to engage in the increasingly-more-popular "the media can suck it" attitudes.

Cell phones have been invented. The coaches and ADs can pull their fingers out of their asses and send us emails or phone calls when they reschedule games. Otherwise they don't get covered.

"I forgot" is not a good excuse. It doesn't mean they're evil people and we're never going to cover them again, but it's the reason why this game today only got a 3-paragraph add story instead of gamer-sidebar-infobox-video and 3-pics.

5. Doc Holliday

Labor department??? Hahhahaaa have you not heard of salaried employees? Have you not heard of overtime???

Damn, crying over having to give up your Friday or Saturday night? Are you fucking kidding me? What the fuck are you doing in sports then???

Find a new line of work!

6. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

I'd guess most newspapers haven't heard of overtime. At least paying for it.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Unless you're a manager, and actually managing someone, you're not supposed to be salaried. Labor violation. Call your labor department.

Fridays and Saturday night. Yep, give up plenty of them. Which is why, when the opportunity is to work an afternoon and have the nights off come around, if you want me to blow three hours of my afternoon and lose my night off because you can't be bothered to tell me you changed the starting time of the game, then your game gets three inches.

8. JordanA

JordanA Member

But aren't they skirting themselves coverage by not notifying the paper? I'm all for maintaining good relationships, etc., but at the same time, some of the responsibility lies with the school/coach/AD/whomever. That relationship shouldn't be one-way, with reporters going out of their way and inconveniencing themselves to accommodate changes about which the school didn't even care enough to notify them.

I don't advocate a "Fuck you" attitude, but I agree wholeheartedly with establishing that in those situations, when coverage is bare-bones or non-existent because the school didn't bother to notify the paper, the blame lies with them.

9. Doc Holliday

I agree Jordan, nobody should take it up the A-hole from the schools, coaches or ADs. But, in the end, our job is to get the news and print it. If you aren't dedicated to that in this climate, then you're not doing yourself, your employer or your reader any service.

The "Fuck You" mentality here only compounds the problems that already exist with newspapers. Most of these jackwads have tons of experience and know better, but they're burnt out and don't care any more. The fact of the matter is, they should be trying harder now than ever to keep readers happy and relationships with the people they cover open.

There's nothing wrong with going the extra mile for a story, and many times when you do, people notice. Talking to one of these people after you cover them, and explaining to them your needs and situation to get things covered can go a long way. All you have to say is you can't guarantee it will happen again when you're not informed but you were able to make it this time.

By doing that, the coach, AD, school or whatever usually will have some gratitude for your effort which helps form a great working relationship.

Instead, these A-holes want to tell them to Fuck off so they can have their Friday or Saturday night and screw everything and everyone else with their three-inch brief. That's just not good business and something only a burned out, old, tired fuck would pull who just doesn't give a shit any more.

I don't like having to go the extra mile for a story. Nobody does. But in this business, if you're any damn good or worth the salt you're made of, you do it. And at the end of the day, you're glad you did.

Find a new line of work otherwise. You're a hasbeen.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ah, now it's clear -- he's one of the 'customer is always right' company stooges / community laughing stock/ whipping boy.

Word will get out among the coaches and ADs that you can be jacked around, and you'll grin and take it like a bitch. And soon enough, you'll be getting phone calls at 7 a.m. Saturday to come shooy pictures of freshman soccer games. Enjoy.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

At this point, I think he's just being a troll.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

When did this business become about what's easiest for you? You're the fly on the wall. You're not the event.

I just don't get that viewpoint.

Draft saved Draft deleted