1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arriving to an empty building

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by valpo87, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

You need to find a new line of work.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That's the second consecutive bad post you've made on this thread.

3. Doc Holliday

You need to as well.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1. The world will survive just fine without a 20-inch story, multiple pics, video and a sidebar from the softball game. What would have happened if you had not CHANCED to talk to your game-scorekeeper friend? You would have gotten nothing on the game -- at all. At least now you are arranging, THROUGH YOUR OWN RESOURCEFULNESS, to get a 4-6 inch phone gamer and a pic on a game you would have gotten nothing on before.

1a. The vast vast majority of your readership, i.e., everyone who does not have a kid on the softball team, don't give a damn anyway.

2. If you flip everything in your nightly schedule ass over teakettle to go cover softball and give it the blanket coverage treatment, you are delivering the message to the coach and/or AD that it's OK to switch games around at the last moment and NOT notify you, the media. There is no negative consequence for doing so. As a result, you can rest assured this behavior will continue and gradually get worse and worse.

You don't need to throw a fit about it or bitch the guy out in public, just tell him, "You know, if you had notified us ahead of time you had changed the game, we would have had time to reschedule some of our staff and rebudget our pages, and you would have gotten a lot better coverage."

But he does need to be told, because if he isn't told, he won't know, and further, won't care.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You need to quit giving stupid advice.

6. Doc Holliday

Common sense prevails. Talk to the coach, ask him to help you. Do your job. Amazing what a good attitude and effort can do.

7. Doc Holliday

What you don't seem to understand is you're giving the stupid advice. You need to work with these people, develop friendships, and develop relationship and trust so they will work WITH you and not AGAINST you.

In this day and age, when there are so many other forms of media, it's imperative that you work to establish open lines of communication and can get information. When you work to piss someone off by skirting them coverage, well, they tend to get pissed off, too, and find other media outlets to get their coverage out like message boards, radio, TV, internet, etc.

Your advice is to sabotage your relationships with the local coaches, ADs, school and your own product. I'm sure that will go over well with your management and publisher. Do that enough and the schools will look elsewhere for coverage and funnel that information to them. Yeah, that's great for the newspaper business.

The only stupid advice being doled out is yours pal.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You need to provide positive reinforcement when they do good things and negative reinforcement when they do bad things.

9. Doc Holliday

Your job is to get the news no matter what it takes. Sit up on your high horse and watch everyone else beat you to it while you prove a point.

Again, find a new line of work because you don't understand this line.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Within the 40 hours of your workweek.

11. Doc Holliday

I've got a pretty good feeling when you add in all the hours of his sports staff, it's far more than 40 hours. I swear, some of you guys are just lazy pieces of shit. I'd fire several of your asses after a few weeks I bet.

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Doc Holiday- man of the people

Draft saved Draft deleted