1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arrest Made in Erin Andrews Case

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Oct 2, 2009.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

you can't just admit you were wrong, can you.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Obviously not. Should have been the first thing he typed on this thread.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Seems like a call could easily come in and that room be booked before a change.

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Assuming this was shot through a peephole, wouldn't someone walking by the room find it unusual to find something like a camera, however small, to be hanging from another room's door? Or, if the mope was standing there, to see a mope standing there? How could this have even happened once?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Clerk, and your point is? You'd be amazed by the shit people will ignore.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Details emerge from the charging affadavit and are creepy as hell:<blockquote>An FBI affidavit said agents had reviewed eight videos and all but one had appeared to be taken in a single hotel. It said Andrews had reviewed several and said they appeared to be of her in a room at the Marriott Nashville at Vanderbilt University.

Authorities said Barrett had occupied an adjacent room, and that the peephole in the door of Andrews' room appeared to have been modified with a hacksaw to permit videos to be made with a cellphone camera.

Bethesda, Md.-based Marriott International Inc. issued a statement saying the company takes its guests' security and privacy seriously and it has been cooperating with investigators.

Agents also went to the Ramada Conference Center in Milwaukee, formerly the Radisson Airport. The affidavit said Barrett had made a reservation in the hotel for a night when Andrews was staying there and that the peephole in the room that she occupied had been similarly modified.

But they said Barrett had never checked in, and the interior of the room did not fully match what was seen on the eighth video.

Wyndam Worldwide Corp., which owns Ramada, and Marriott International Inc. did not immediately return calls for comment.

The affidavit said that in making his reservation in Nashville, Barrett specifically requested a room next to Andrews, who was referred to in the FBI document as "individual A."

Reservation records in the hotel's computer showed the notation: "INFO-GST RQST TO RM NXT TO (individual A)," the affidavit said. </blockquote>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091004/ap_on_en_tv/us_espn_andrews_video

I could see a circumstance in which the hotel chains face one whopper of a civil suit.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Deadspin has had the whole affidavit posted all day. I read it earlier. What an absolutely creepy guy.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Butbutbut his attorney says he's as regular a guy as you'll ever meet!

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A lot of people who end up murdering their neighbors and eating their flesh get described as seeming normal.

No one has aliases and knows how to rig a peephole if he's normal. Nor does he make like 16 calls to a hotel in a 12-hour period. Nor does he call 16 hotels looking for the one someone famous is staying at.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ted Koppel: [off camera] John David Stutts spent his childhood here in this modest home in Lima, Ohio.

[CUT to photo of Stutts sitting on his couch again. Photos of the “Our Gang” cast and a photo of Buckwheat from “SNL” are seen on the wall.]

Ted Koppel: Everyone who knew him called him a loner: a quiet young man.

[CUT to photo of a simple church.]

Ted Koppel: Stutts attended Sunday School at the Mercy Seat Baptist Church.

[A black minister sits at a desk with a Roman collar.]

Minister: He was a loner, and a quiet young man. He attended church, and Sunday School. I remember he was always very polite.

Ted Koppel: Do you believe he killed Buckwheat?

Minister: Oh, yes. Definitely. That’s all he talked about.

[CUT to the exterior of a brick school building.]

Ted Koppel: John David Stutts graduated from Unionville High School.

[CUT to a yearbook photo showing Stutts sitting alone at a desk. The caption above the photo reads, “THE LONER.”]

Ted Koppel: His classmates called him “the loner.”

[CUT to a photo of Eddie Murphy’s face pasted over some white guy’s face in a group shot from a yearbook.]

Ted Koppel: Stutts was a member of the Key Club...

[CUT to a similar photo of a smaller group.]

Ted Koppel: The Audio-Visual Squad...

[CUT to Stutts holding a rifle in front of a blackboard.]

Ted Koppel: And president of the Future Assassins of America.

[CUT to a formal yearbook photo of Stutts gazing dully into space. The caption below reads: “John David Stutts, Most Likely to Kill Buckwheat.”]

Ted Koppel: It’s no wonder that his classmates chose him, “Most Likely to Kill Buckwheat.”

[CUT to a middle-aged, mustached man in a blue windbreaker standing in front of gas pumps.]

Gas Station Attendant: [in New England accent] Sure, I remember Stutts. He was a loner, but a real hard worker. I mean, he pumped the gas, he checked the oil, he washed the windows. Nice kid.

Man: Oh, yes, definitely. That’s all he talked about. I remember one day I says, uh, “Stutts, why are you working so hard?” He says, “’Cause I’m saving up to buy a gun, so I can kill Buckwheat.” [shrugs]

[CUT to a tailor hemming the cuffs on a pair of slacks.]

Tailor: John was a quiet boy, a kind of a loner. But real polite. He always stood still when I hemmed his cuffs. Nice kid.

Tailor: Oh, yes, definitely. That’s all he ever talked about. Why, just the other day, he comes in and he says, “Saul, make me a new suit. I’m going to kill Buckwheat, and I want to look good on television.”

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/82/82pstutts.phtml

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Steak, that skit is the first thing I think of when I hear somebody describe a killer as a "normal" or "quiet" guy.

And how fucking dense do you have to be as a desk clerk to not see a red flag when some guy calls in and requests a room next door to a public figure?

12. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Michael Barrett looks strangely like Robin Williams ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted