1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Around which current NHL star would you build a franchise?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Dec 24, 2008.

?

I'm interested in seeing which current NHL star that the esteemed SJ hockey brain trust would build

1. Alex Ovechkin

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Sidney Crosby

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  3. Evgeni Malkin

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. Alex Semin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ilya Kovalchuk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Zdeno Chara

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Phil Kessel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Thomas Vanek

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  9. Ryan Miller

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Eric Staal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Jay Bouwmeester

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Mike Komisarek

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Martin Brodeur

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Henrik Lundqvist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Jason Spezza

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Danny Heatley

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Mike Richards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Jeff Carter

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  19. Simon Gagne

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Vincent Lecavalier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. Martin St. Louis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. Ryan Getzlaf

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. Corey Perry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. Scott Niedermayer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. Chris Pronger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  26. Jarome Iginla

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  27. Dion Phaneuf

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  28. Brian Campbell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  29. Patrick Kane

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  30. Jonathan Toews

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  31. Rick Nash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  32. Brendan Morrow

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  33. Pavel Datsyuk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  34. Marian Hossa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  35. Nick Lidstrom

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  36. Henrik Zetterberg

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  37. Anze Kopitar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  38. Marian Gaborik

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  39. Niklas Backstrom (Minnesota's)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  40. Nick Backstrom (Washington)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  41. Shea Weber

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  42. Olli Jokinen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  43. Dan Boyle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  44. Joe Thornton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  45. Brad Boyes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  46. Daniel Sedin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  47. Henrik Sedin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  48. Roberto Luongo

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Ogie Ogelthorpe.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Well, I just threw those names out as examples. I never would have thought of Fleury on the list, I'm just curious the comparison there.
    That said, I think wrapping up Fleury long-term was a fantastic move by the Pens.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Sorry if that came out harsh, I also agree that it's a good thing they signed him long term, his positional play is improving every year

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Nah, wasn't harsh at all.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Just started looking at Ovechkin's 2008 stats. He's third in the league in points with 46 (http://www.nhl.com/ice/app?component=completePointLeadersList&page=statshome&service=direct); he's third in the league in goals with 22 ( http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20092ALLSASAll&sort=goals&viewName=goals) and eighth in the league with 24 assists (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20092ALLSASAll&sort=assists&viewName=assists).

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Irrelevant: at the ages of 28/30, those guys aren't the players you'd want to "build your franchise around."

They might very well be players you would want to win a Cup THIS YEAR, but if you're "building a franchise," by definition, that rules out anybody over 28 (really, probably anybody over 25).

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I can't ever remember a time when there have been so many really great superstar YOUNG (under 25) players on the scene at the same time.

It's a really, really tough call to pick one, but I suppose I'd have to go with Ovechkin for now. His playing style infuses the whole team.

Yes, Washington was my preseason pick to win the Eastern conference playoffs. Not the top seed, but in the playoffs. If Green, Semin, Backstrom, Fedorov are all healthy and either Theodore or Johnson get hot, they could be a load to handle.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The only reason anyone even tries to equate, or even put Crosby ahead of Ovechkin is because one is Canadian and one is Russian. Hockey xenophobia lives on, folks.

Ovechkin can do everything just as well or better as Crosby can except two things -- dive and whine. Ovechkin can pass the puck as well as anyone, his shot is among the best, and you're veins are full of heroin if you think he doesn't make the rest of his team better the way Crosby does. And Ovechkin has no problem hitting people and mucking it up like anyone else. He likes the contact instead of spending his time trying to avoid it like some pansy four hours to the northwest.

Nothing cracks me up more than listening to Penguin fans, and I know too many of them, cut you off and talk over you before you can even argue those points. They just don't want to hear it.

Ovechkin is exactly the kind of player -- exciting, prolific, and joyous on the ice -- that the NHL should crave in all corners of the world, and every team would take over anyone else. The gy plays with a smile on his face, and he gives good quotes, too.

Please oh please just spare me the Crosby nonsense already.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Crosby & Ovechkin are 1A and 1B. It's the age old Howe/Richard, Gretzky/Lemieux, Mahovlich/Hull argument. The looserfanboy part of the brain kicks in when Pittsburgh & Caps fans start up against each other.

They're two different hockey players. Ovechkin is a pure goal scorer but no one sees the ice in the league better than Crosby.

I'm Swiss in these matters--I'd take either one

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Is 'build' even the correct term in these times?

I'm thinking more along the lines of what NHL star would you want to help your franchise survive.

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

"Re-build" is the better term. What do teams have to do to keep the pace with the post-lockout, Crosby-and-Ovechkinized NHL?

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Brad Boyes but no Ales Hemsky or Sam Gagner (and yes he's in a horrible sophpomore slump, but the potential is still rediculous)?

Not that it matters, as I would still choose Ovechkin. Not only do you get the excitement of his on ice play you also get his engaging personality. BBJ is too much of a robot off the ice and that's only because he's been molded that way for the past decade. Ovechkin still has that spontaneity and unpredictability off the ice but is not a douche ala Avery.

Draft saved Draft deleted