1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arod to sign with the Dodgers - today's journalism

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Nov 2, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This is how it's done, folks.

http://coedmagazine.com/sports/3445

Alex Rodriguez is in the final stages of contract negotiations with the L.A. Dodgers.

At 9AM (Pacific time) Rodriguez’s management was grabbing an early brunch with friends, one person in the party being an undisclosed high ranking MLB official, in Los Angeles. At this brunch terms of Rodriguez’s soon to be signed “5 year contract” we’re discussed in detail.

Our source in the brunch party “overheard” that Rodriguez will take a small pay cut, in relation to his actual market value which was said to be estimated at “$33 million dollars per year,” because he has faith that Joe Torre will bring the team to the World Series with in the length of his new managerial contract.

Rodriguez is signing this new contract with the L.A. Dodgers because he, “wants to play in another major market team that has World Series potential.”

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I love it when the main source is someone who "overheard" a conversation.
    I'm guessing the ARod saga will drag on until 2008 and he isn't going to sign under his "market value" five days after opting out. Just a guess.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually, A-Rod's going to Toledo. I love this story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3090231

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Citizen journalism! Hooray!

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

BUSTER OLNEY: Updated: November 2, 2007, 1:40 PM ET

Before Alex Rodriguez opted out of his contract with the Yankees earlier this week, the team was told that it would not be able to meet with the third baseman unless it presented an offer of at least $350 million, sources say.

The Yankees had hoped to meet with Rodriguez this week, and would have presented him with an extension offer close to five years and $150 million, to begin at the conclusion of his 2008-2010 contract, through which he would have earned $81 million. Through the Yankees' proposal, then, Rodriguez would have made about $230 million over eight years, and during the last five years of the contract, sources say, he would have earned the highest annual salary in Major League Baseball history.

But team executives were told, sources say, that in order to arrange a meeting with Rodriguez, they would have to be prepared to make an extension offer that would take the third baseman's deal up to a total value of $350 million. That means that the offer the Yankees intended to propose would have been more than $100 million short.

Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, sent the documentation of Rodriguez's intention to opt out of the contract to Yankees general manager Brian Cashman during Game 4 of the World Series, Cashman has said, and the GM did not speak with Boras until after news of the decision was published on SI.com.

The timing of how this played out, and the fact that Rodriguez did not meet with the Yankees to hear their offer before making his decision, has led some baseball officials to surmise that a deal with another team may already be in the works. In an interview with ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick on Thursday, Boras said, "We have had no economic discussions regarding Alex Rodriguez with any major-league team."

The Mets, Dodgers, Angels, Giants and Marlins are among the teams which have not publicly ruled out pursuing Rodriguez. Sources say it is highly unlikely that the Dodgers will seriously entertain the possibility.

Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like the Dodgers were negotiating with Pay-Rod before they were allowed.

Not that Butt-head Selig would actually do anything about it.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Bwuhahahaha! That's funny.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Dodgers will be the latest team to overpay A-Rod, and the latest team to probably negotiate against themselves and drive the price up. New league, pitcher's park ... I like Joe Torre but the Dodgers deserve every bad thing that will come their way if they sign this jerk for that inflated price, during a time when his career can be expected to begin it's downward spiral as he hits the mid-to-late 30s.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Baldwin Park JV peewee swim team won its first meet yesterday. And in other news, A-Rod to sign with Dodgers.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would just like to say that the original article is so far wrong it's hard to believe.

9 a.m. is breakfast, not brunch. Brunch doesn't start until 10:15 at the earliest.

11. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

Even funnier: The author of the breaking news A-Rod story recently wrote this piece:

``Facebook and my Blackberry Pearl are like crack cocaine to me… I’m hooked!
    Facebook loves Blackberry, and Blackberry loves Facebook - so they got hitched, banged out a kid, named it ‘Facebook for Blackberry Application‘ and he/she/it has only made my addiction to both stronger…if that’s even humanly possible.''

12. markvid

markvid Guest

I had a huge problem with the fact the Dodgers were allowed to skip the minority rules in the managerial search (as the search was), as MLB said they've done enough for racial diversity in baseball.
    Well, if Branch Rickey is still doing the decision making, then ok, but...

Draft saved Draft deleted