1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ARod on opting out and Boras

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 13, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Rodriguez said opting out was "a mistake that was handled extremely poorly."

"It was a huge debacle," he said, calling the timing "distasteful and very inappropriate."

A-Rod said Boras gave him the impression the Yankees weren't interested in bringing him back, which surprised him.

"Our goals were not aligned," Rodriguez said. "It felt funny to me."

He said he and Boras agreed the slugger would opt out of his deal, but Rodriguez thought the move would be revealed after the World Series.

"I made mistakes. I've got to look in the mirror. If I had to do it again, I would've called Hank from Day 1 and negotiated myself," Rodriguez said

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3153171 it's an AP story.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

What a crock. As if they wouldn't be interested in retaining the services of a guy chasing the home-run record who still is healthy.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

First the WS and now this. A-Rod just can't help trumping the bigger baseball news.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Nicely played, ARod.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'm sure the strippers of Toronto are backing Stray-Rod on this one.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hilarious.

I'm half-surprised he didn't mention he had a chance to take steroids or talk to George Mitchell and didn't.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not A-Rod thistime. The Yankees annouced the completion of the deal and scheduled the conference.

A good way for the Yanks to deflect attention away from Clemens, Pettitte, Giambi, Damon et al

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Agreed. That's the reason why the Yankees announced it today and had A-Rod do the conference call, with the ground-rule to reporters being no questions on steriods/HGH/etc.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He's still full of it ... or he's a moron. Yeah, the Yankees weren't interested in keeping the guy who can carry their offense and few others can afford, if they could get the deal done with an extension and Texas paying a chunk of his obscene salary. I mean, why wouldn't the Yankees have wanted that free money at the expense of Mr. Hicks?

What the Yankees weren't interested in was Boras and the ridiculous price tag he miscalculated, which ARod and Boras quickly realized no one was going to pay anything close to -- especially without the Yankees in the mix so Boras could credibly lie to other teams about their interest to drive up the bidding.

What a crock.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Can't he be both?

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

i agree that a-rod's full of crap and and naive when it comes to boras. let's see if he splits from boras now.

i also agree that the yanks took a big one for selig today, holding the official signing/phone presser to at least attempt to get the n.y. back pages away from mitchell/pettitte/clemens and onto the good news for their pinstripes. ol' george would be mighty proud of hank, if he still had any idea what was going on.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

AP story says the following:

A-Rod earned $185.45 million over seven years.

Can anybody point me to a chart that breaks down that previous deal? I'm having trouble making that add up, compared to reporting at the time of his signing when still with the Rangers.

Draft saved Draft deleted