1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ARod and your Sunday paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Angola!, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Getting back to A-Rod ---- and my apologies for going too far off topic --- from what I heard on TV Sunday, he isn't subject to anything over this. No fines. No suspensions. Nothing.

It's this sort of nonsense that made me stop following major league baseball to begin with. If your sport has rules but no enforcement of those rules, it's a joke.

Make it like the Olympics: every test is out in the open, for the world to see. If you fail a test, you can appeal. If you fail the 'b" sample, you are disqualified for a specified length of time. If you fail a second test later on, find a new career, mate.

Baseball has brought this crap on itself for not being willing to stand up and enforce the rules. No more bowing to the stupid players association. They need a stronger commissioner who has the balls to stand up and say "This is how it's going to be. Players union be damned. If you don't like it, find another sport."

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

OK.

So how exactly do they get a stronger commissioner?

3. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

A-roid took the test supposedly anonymously. It was done with the agreement that no discipline would be taken. The samples should have been destroyed 6 years ago and the names never linked.

Who are the other 103 names? Why aren't they being leaked? If A-Roid gets outed, everyone should get outed.

And, if I am A-Roid, I am suing baseball,the union, whomever and whatever.

Doesn't change the fact he took roids.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Puff on the sports front and 500 words inside.

Best I could do since we're 8,000 miles from the closest MLB team.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Two completely separate tourneys.
    Duals: Four first-round matches at neutral sites the Tuesday after districts. 12 teams go to Hershey, with the top four seeded into the quarterfinals. State championships were held Feb. 6-7.
    Individuals: Districts Feb. 20-21, regionals Feb. 27-28, states Mar. 5-7. There is a team championship awarded on points. So, yes, you can have two different state champions in the same class in the same year -- one (duals) for the best team top-to-bottom, the other for the team which has the most success at the individual finals. You don't see the difference?

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

my old shop didn't have anything about A-Rod on the cover. Not even a tease.
    Then it was two or three graphs mixed in with the briefs.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I blasted it out pretty good tonight, with the admission. It was a good night for it.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think I ran the whole AP story, which I never do.

Next, to connect the dots with one of our local heroes ...

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We ran the entire 40-plus inch story on page three today, I think. Didn't jump it because local stuff dominated the front again.

10. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

We ran the original breaking story inside last week. We ran the story of his admission across the bottom strip of the front. We ran the 30-inch AP story, with the much longer story on the website.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Find some team owners with a backbone who don't want to tolerate this stuff. Who are willing to place the integrity of the sport above this year's pennant.

Honestly, I think Selig wants to do the right things. He is just chicken-scared of the players union taking him to court. The MLBPA is the most powerful union in sports --- far too powerful, IMO --- and has put individual "rights" ahead of the good of the game.

Can you imagine what the newspaper landscape would look like if we had a union half as powerful as the MLBPA? We'd force these idiot owners to open their books and PROVE they were losing money before laying off or furloughing people. None of this 'daily activity report' nonsense would fly. We, as a group, just take it too much. When management tells us to jump, we say "how high?" and "which side of the boat am I jumping off?"

OK, rant over.... for now, anyway.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Good idea. Except for one thing: the owners hire the commissioner. And these owners are quite happy with this commissioner.

So why would they get rid of him?

Draft saved Draft deleted