1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ARod and your Sunday paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Angola!, Feb 7, 2009.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

After seeing the paper, it was pretty much as I thought. He got the flag reef spot (puff-puff) and a good shot on Page 8.

Had it been midweek, I could see it having been the cover. Too much end-of-the-season preps stuff going on this weekend, though.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wow,first time I have heard of the team and individual being held separately.

3. It's that way in Illinois, too. At least it was when I still lived there.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Honestly, I never understood the purpose of awarding team titles in individual sports like wrestling, golf, tennis, swimming, etc.

Team sports like football, hockey, basketball, etc. are just totally different. not better or worse, just different. All you're doing in individual sports is adding up scores.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

For timed sports, maybe, but wrestling is absolutely a team sport, in that guys are forever moving up or down a weight or coming up from the JV to fill in for injured guys. Or, if two teams both have studs at the same weight for a dual, a coach might slide one kid up to bank the win at one weight and give up the loss at the other -- especially if he thinks his JV kid can lose by decision and his stud can stick his man.

Then, when you get to the upper weights, strategies vary depending on the team score. For instance, if a kid has a mismatch and his team is ahead, he might just keep taking his guy down and releasing him. If his team is behind, he's probably got to go for the pin and the extra points.

Plenty enough team strategy to offer a team title.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

The team championship is a dual-meet format. I can't see how they could possibly be held together -- as it is, I think they have three mats set up for the three-day-long individual championships, and there would be kids participating in both events. For example, one of the teams our local school lost to this season ended up winning the AA state championship again. NINE kids on that team have at least 20 wins, enough to guarantee a high seed at districts.

Zeke has a good take on the strategy, and I'll add that at least around here, most of the better wrestlers compete at one weight during the regular season, but might drop down a class for districts. If both championships ran concurrently, they wouldn't be able to do that.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It still is.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Took up 80 percent of the Denver Post's 1A this morning with an open page and another one-third to one-half page inside devoted to it.
    Analysis piece in the upper right of the sports section.

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=CO_DP&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=1

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wow!

80 percent of A-1 on a Sunday? There was nothing else going on in Denver?

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Yeah.

Local stuff won out over A-Rod.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Considering where you are located, it should.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's like the Ryder Cup. Manipulate your lineup to gain the most possible points. fine, I have no qualms with that. Still doesn't make it a "team" sport, unless you are tag-teaming it.

In the states where I have worked, there is only one state meet and teams acrue points by virtue of how their individuals perform (just like track, swimming, etc.). If you don't qualify many individuals in various weight classes, you aren't winning a team title.

Honestly, if it is a dual-meet system, how many freakin kids are involved in that? Gotta be a freakin nightmare, not that any wrestling tournament isn't.

So these kids go out and wrestle for some team title, then have to go back at a future date and wrestle for titles in their respective weight classes? And, theoretically, a team could win a team title and not have an individual champion or runner-up or whatever (lets say the flu hits one weekend)? That's weird.

Draft saved Draft deleted