1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Army Times' Top 10 military films

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

The Incredible Mr. Limpet. ;D

I have to put "Battle of the Bulge" right up there. Semi-star-studded cast, including Henry "GAF Talking Viewmaster" Fonda.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Yes, the sun was setting over the ocean, which is east of Vietnam. It wasn't the only sucky part of that movie--the whole thing was pretty much Duke's love letter to McNamara.

The Longest Day MUST be on that list. I thought We Were Soldiers was also good.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

1. The Longest Day
    2. Tora! Tora! Tora!
    3. Gettysburg
    4. Full Metal Jacket
    5. Hunt for Red October
    6. Run Silent, Run Deep
    7. Das Boot
    8. Gardens of Stone
    9. Casualties of War
    10. Top Gun

I'm partial to Navy films, obviously, but I also like the war/military films that look beyond the actual fighting.

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Alley, The Longest Day was incredible just for the way it was made. It was the Private Ryan or Band of Brothers of it's day.

The war scenes were coordinated incredibly. Film like Sands of Iwo Jima, the war scenes seemed so fake, but Longest Day seemed very realisitc.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Talk about coordination. The scene where Cmdr. Kieffer's French commandos stormed the waterfront, with the aerial shot following the troop movement in a wide shot, was breathtaking.

As an aside...when I was on the USS George Washington leading up to the 50th anniversary of D-Day, we showed that movie on a loop on the ship's CCTV system. I must've seen that film at least 40 or 50 times that year. But it was freaking great.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

without repeating some great films mentioned on this thread

Fort Apache (John Wayne and Henry Fonda)
    Where Eagles Dare (Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton)
    They Were Expendable
    In Harm's Way
    Rio Grande

The Best Years of Our Lives

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I was also going to mention Gettysburg, but AA beat me to it.

And "Cold Mountain" is a pretty accurate portrayal of the Civil War too, I'd bet.

8. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Good memory on Casualties of War. Everybody's forgotten about that flick, but it was very well-done. But, of course, there's no freaking way Army Times was gonna consider a movie about U.S. GIs kidnapping and raping an innocent woman.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I was surprised they overlooked Gardens of Stone, too. Rather poignant look at Arlington.

10. Baloo

Baloo Member

Can't believe they put Top Gun on there, that's pathetic. And left off The Guns of Navarone, which is only one of the best movies ever.

11. Baloo

Baloo Member

Oops, I forgot to add my disdain for their omission of Bridge on the River Kwai.

And I just have to emphasize: Top Gun??? Doesn't even belong in top 30.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Any war movie with William Holden is golden.

Draft saved Draft deleted