1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Army Times' Top 10 military films

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Jul 7, 2007.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I thought The Great Raid was pretty good.

2. 1) Letters From Iwo Jima
    2) All Quiet On The Western Front
    3) The Longest Day
    4) Patton
    5) Twelve O'Clock High
    6) Apocalypse Now
    7) The Thin Red Line
    8) Action In The North Atlantic
    9) Platoon
    10) The Dawn Patrol

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

No Platoon? That list is dead to me.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Incorrect, my intrepid friend.

The Longest Day was an incredible movie and it's omission on this list devalues the list. And A Bridge Too Far absolutely belongs on this list.

Top Gun? Are you effin' kidding me?

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Top Gun' is a dreadful movie, but it did inspire the very good 'F14 Tomcat' pinball machine.
    Just giving credit where credit is due.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Duly noted, Buck. It is a very good pinball machine.

The movie, however, has no business showing up on a top-20 10 war movies list, especially ahead of the likes of Longest Day and A Bridge Too Far. And as an aficionado of war movies, I will not debate this point.

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

D'oh! How could I forget?

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This is a much better list, although I'd add "Glory" in place of "Action in the North Atlantic" and find some place to squeeze in "Bridge Too Far."

Otherwise, it's nails.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'll throw out another one for consideration, although it, too, does not flatter our military.

"Tora, Tora, Tora."

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A military movie.. and to the Military (The list doesnt say it was about combat history, just "a snapshot of military history")Top Gun would belong...
    A bridge too far was a horrible movie... L-O-N-G....

Personally, I would find a home for Destination: Tokyo, but that's me... Apocalypse Now is not a military movie, even tho it is in the Vietnam War and has scenes in it. It puts the military in a bad light, between Robert Duvall's gung-ho attitude and what he does between shooting up the village and surfing and Marlon Brando's mad-man defection.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Local dad of a baseball player was in Vietnam; dealing with effects of Agent Orange. I asked him how accurate Full Metal Jacket was, and he said as close to spot on as you can get. But his favorite military movie, which he lent me the other day, is "We Were Soldiers." I'm interested to check it out. Anyone seen it?

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Yeah, it's great. And I wonder since Band of Brothers was a miniseries if that's why it wasn't there. It's the best thing on war I"ve ever seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted