1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Army sees all time best recruiting results.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I stand corrected. It's Army of One. It replaced Be all that you can be.
    Have a coke and a smile used to be a favorite of my druggie friends. They'd say, "Have some Coke and smile."

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think they dropped Army of One and are going with Army Strong this year.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just another theory on the military having no problems reaching recruiting goals: 9/11. Kids who are 18 now were 10 when they saw the towers fall. That day is seared in the minds of everyone. And I think it makes more people than ever realize the importance of serving their country and not just leaving it to someone else.

As for the older recruits you're seeing, certainly the economy is a factor. If I was ten years younger and not too old to be a first-time enlistee I would seriously consider it.

4. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

It's been "Army Strong" since 2006.

I nearly enlisted in 1998 after a stint in college. My family, which includes people on active duty, talked me out of it. And thank god. I'd have been a terrible fit, especially at that age.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's the economy, stupid:

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2009/10/military_recruiting_retention_101309w/

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Another silver lining in this -- outside the obvious -- is that last year and the year before, Army recruiters were committing suicide in record numbers. Many of them didn't believe in what they were recruiting for, didn't hit their recruitment goals, got ear-fucked by their superiors, etc., etc., etc.
    From what my two friends who were recruiters told me, it was a very bad situation.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Used to work with a guy who once pitched this as a story idea in protest of all the football recruiting stories we had to do in December and January each year.

"We oughtta be going to the Army guys and finding out how THEIR recruiting is going!"

Well, it looks like somebody did ...

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Amazing what a change in administration will do.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I honestly thought as I clicked on this thread that it was about the football program at West Point.

D'oh!

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Wait. Didn't the Real America die in the last election? Isn't the country overrun with a Limbaugh-esque spirit of internal revolution? Joining the military of the U.S. is no way to "take our country back," is it?

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Some nice news for once.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

People are joining because Bush is no longer president? That what I'm reading?

Draft saved Draft deleted