1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Army orders Detroit Lions draft pick Caleb Campbell to active duty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Jul 23, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Shin-Soo Choo has been told he must serve his mandatory two years in the Korean Army starting sometime before the end of 2010. He's actually in the big leagues.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Nope. Figure out what you're talking about, then come back to the adult table.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The three Saudi Arabian students in my flight school class must serve 18 years upon completion of flight school. Eighteen years, folks. That's two short of retirement for me. I owe six.

Think about it.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I have so many mixed feelings about the military. On one hand, the Army has taken one of my best friends, moved back his discharge date by more than two years (even though he fulfilled his requirement and then some). They kept him in in the streets of Baghdad when he should have been back in the states pursuing professional desires outside the military.

On the other side, the Army has just kept one of my best friend's brother out of prison when he was looking at a minimum of eight years. Army > prison.

I don't have a problem with the Army changing their policy and saying "We need every able-bodied person who signs up to fulfill their duty." The kid signed up to serve, and barring some crazy-ass circumstances, he should serve.

What I have a problem is how the Army approached this from a PR standpoint. It had absolutely no problem allowing ESPN to suck this kid (and by extension, the Army) off for weeks leading up to and during the draft. It had no problem granting interviews to continue to make itself look like was doing the right thing by letting him pursue football. I don't know anyone personally who decided he/she was going to enlist because of the stories, but I know it had to have had a major influence on people. And, oh yeah, the Draft was going on during a huge recruiting time for high school seniors. Coincidence?

Only in the week before training camp, when the interest had calmed down, did it change it's mind and try to do so without stirring the pot.

Complete horseshit, if you ask me.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Pat Tillman's family is shocked to hear that the Army would play fast and loose with the facts around NFL Draft time.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

How specifically did that happen around draft time in the Pat Tillman case? I missed that.

Draft saved Draft deleted