1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Army/Navy running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Navy up 24-10 near end of third Q

Can't believe there was not already a thread on this one.
    Oh, the passion!

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Are we really at the point where we are mocking the Army/Navy game?

Jesus.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Hey man, I'm doing just the opposite.
    My father was at Annapolis and went to these games.
    I love it.
    It's cold, the players are breathing smoke, there are tons of people in the stands.
    It's awesome football.

EDIT: 31-17 Navy, with under 6 mins left.

FINAL EDIT: Navy holds off a late Army push at the goal line and wins 31-17

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Anyone who has a chance to see this game ought to do it. Without question the best part of the day is after the game, when the alma maters are played.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

As mentioned on the SportsJournalists.com poll thread, seeing this game in person is high on the "bucket list" for me.

And Blitz, I did post on the poll thread about the game-changing play in the second quarter. Steelman and co. had their chances to win today, but that 98-yard fumble return for a TD was a backbreaker for the Cadets.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm waiting for the year when an announcer says "He's got a cannon of an arm." OR "Jones drops back and throws a bom deep downfield."

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Troy Calhoun sits at home polishing the CIC Trophy as all is right with the world again.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

A guy on our staff this year went to West Point and said it really is something to behold. The cadets march, the cadence, the flyover, halftime show, the President switching sides at halftime, the alma maters at the end...

It would have been a heckuva game had Army turned that second Navy fumble into points just before the half. As it was, Army fumbled and Navy took it in for a score....Good night.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

As a Navy vet, all I can say is Bravo Zulu.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Damn straight. Love the Zoomies. Calhoun has been great for that program. Still, I'd love to go to an Army-Navy game.

11. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I always try to watch this game, even if the football is obviously a little subpar by D-1 standards.

Both teams play their asses off and show impressive sportsmanship when it's over. The patriotism is only part of it.

Woulda been a real good game if Army could have held on to that ball at the end of the first half.

All the best to all those guys and their families.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Army is on its way back. It has a very good coach. Now it needs to find another Mike Mayweather or Ronnie McAda to run the offense.

AFA often might have the best team, but AFA-Navy or AFA-Army is the JV game.

Draft saved Draft deleted