1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Army looking for a few good men, but American kids are too fat

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Brooklyn Bridge, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They're looking for anyone, period.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't know what Navy fitness standards are, Alley, but the Army's are pretty stringent and keep getting tougher (the max for pushups is now a ridiculous 77 for males age 27-31).

Actually the minimum passing scores haven't altered that much; I think the Army raised the maximums to help attain separation when it comes to review time.

The max total score on the APFT is 300 (100 each for pushups, situps and two-mile run). Sounds like 3bags needs to hit the stairmaster. :)

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

My buddy's brother just started basic at a little older age (court-induced), and after two months of training, he easily passed the tests for push-ups, sit-ups and the 2-mile run to kick him to the necessary level for his advanced program.
    Yes, American kids may in large part not be prepared on a whim to pass, but I'm also guessing that there is a large number of kids who are also heading into recruiting offices w/o really thinking about it, thus not being physically prepared.

Draft saved Draft deleted