1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Army discharges men's basketball coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 24, 2009.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

And Crews, while aloof, never struck me as a prick or anything. He was a good coach, and as was mentioned earlier, his style just sort of fell out of favor.

Re: Merfeld -- Bubbler pretty well summed up his time in Evansville. Good dude who got hired by the wrong AD.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I have a Marty Simmons story to share. Marty coached one year at D-III Wartburg, which was my junior year. I was the equipment manager for the FB team, but also taped some of the basketball games. In the Iowa Conference, we do women-men doubleheaders, as a way to cut costs and keep things simple.
    Anyway, rumor spread around campus that the defending nat'l champs, UW-Platteville was coming to town to scrimmage the Knights. We heard a lot about Platteville but didn't know much about their coach. Come to find out it was Bo Ryan. Marty and Bo agreed to have the scrimmage closed off to the public.

On the night of the scrimmage, I finished working out in the lower level of the old gym/PE center and was about to head back to my dorm. Our AD catches me and asked if I could stay and help out the film crew. I said "sure, why not?".

Platteville raped horror on Wartburg during that scrimmage. Marty, known for having a temper, looked like a cherry Tootsie Roll lollipop after that.

Bo was cool as the other side of the pillow.

Marty left after the end of the season when Crews called him back to Evansville to be his head assistant coach.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

88-75, something like that? Straight from memory. I think he had 7 3-pointers.
    Flew from there to New Orleans to catch up with Virginia Tech on its Tulane-Southern Miss swing.
    Lord, those were the days when papers had money. We didn't ask, we just went.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Andy Elkins ... there's a name I haven't heard since, well, about 1994.

Thanks for reminding me how old I am.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I think things went downhill for Evansville basketball when they ditched the sleeves on the uniform.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

That was after Crews left. They were already going downhill.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Still no idea what triggered this?

Draft saved Draft deleted