1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Armitage Outed Plame, So Says Associate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 29, 2006.

1. So Crass - are you saying that the war on Radical Islam will be a short war or are you denying we are at war at all?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"We are truly fortunate to have a leader of resolve at a time of war. Through all the challenges, he remains the same man who stood atop the rubble of lower Manhattan, with a bullhorn, vowing to fight back; the leader who told a grieving nation that we will never forget what was lost; and the determined President who works every day to fulfill his vow to bring the enemy to justice or to bring justice to the enemy."

Base propaganda. Embarrassing.

He forgot to mention "Mission Accomplished".

Oh, and this little gem.

"And, on a personal note, I commend the American Legion for its sponsorship of the Boy Scouts. I know there are some places where Boy Scouts are a subject of scorn."

WTF?

And this:

"When a database search of America's leading newspapers turns up 10 times as many mentions of one of the soldiers at Abu Ghraib who was punished for misconduct, than mentions of Sergeant First Class Paul Ray Smith, the first recipient of the Medal of Honor in the Global War on Terror;"

True but irrelevant. Abu Ghraib, idiotic claims of "frat boy pranks" to the contrary, is news.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Faulty logic. High school shit. That's right up there with "You're either for us or agin' us".

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

First, we are not at war with "radical Islam." (If we were we would be asking our "good friends" the Saudis to adjust their school system.)

Second, those, like myself, that question the Iraq strategy are not at some "more and intellectual" state of confusion.

Third, a society that blindly follows its leaders like sheep and doesn't ask questions isn't a democratic society. Why would Rumsfeld say that I cannot question him?

Fourth, Rumsfeld's painting of things as black and white or good and evil is wrong. There are good people that do evil things and evil people that do good things. There are also shades of gray where one person's evil is another person's version of being a little bad.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And when did Bush?

Oh, right. He isn't one.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree with Rummy that in the lead up to World War II, most people in this country didn't want to get involved. After Pearl Harbor that changed and the country was united.

Same way here after 9/11

Now, if Roosevelt's response had been to invade Switzerland, folks might have scratched their heads and wondered what the hell was going and not felt so good about the war after all.

7. JR - your WTF? in regards to the Boy Scout issue illustrates once again why you shouldn't be commenting on things you know not of. Rumsfeld is a former Eagle Scout and the Boy Scouts have been in the news because A) they refuse to allow gay scout leaders B) some people do not want the scouts to have access to public property because of their stand on gays and C) the scouts have a long standing relationship with the military that has been challenged in the courts because the scouts are a religious organization and the ACLU wants to prohibit them from interacting with the military because of their views on God and gays.

JR - you may not be aware but the Congressional Medal of Honor is the highest military award the US can bestow on a soldier. That should be news but the MSM only wants BAD NEWS and that was Rumsfeld's point. To further illustrate this point Google Brian Chontosh and then ask why more was not made about his heroism in the MSM. Ask why Jessica Lynch had a movie about her made but Brian Chontosh gets ignored.

Also Crass specifically picked out the section about this being a long war without elaborating. My question was not only to Crass and not to you but appropriate.

Crass - so you fall into the school of thought that one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter? And you wonder why journalists are held in so low regard by the general public.

Ace - Japan bombed Pearl Harbor but our first military actions were against Germany.

8. The misuse of Neville Chamberlain and "appeasement" is a kind of ideological Tourette's on the American right. Call it Krauthammer-Hanson Disease. (Personally, I think it's psychosomatic, stemming from all those conservatives, like Prescott Bush, who were perfectly content to let Hitler run Europe, and Daddy Kennedy, who were anxious to make a buck off it.) Olbermann's argument was that Chamberlain's government behaved toward its critics the way this administration has behaved toward its own -- with scorn, personal derision, arrogant stupidity, and invective. These are all easily researched facts. (Churchill took some serious heat right up until the tanks rolled on the Continent.) It was an argument for transparency and accountability in democratic government, not a historical parallel of events. This is not difficult to follow at all.
    And this is not World War III or IV, no matter how much the chickenhawks in the government's cheap seats want to watch one on television.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

You mean like the fellas at the Boston Tea Party? Or Bunker Hill?

10. Here's another opinion, this one from a guy who didn't work for Lloyd Bentsen.
    http://www.cfr.org/publication.html?id=7006

Also in re: terrorist/freedom fighters: please google either "Michael Collins," or "Haganah" for further details.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ouch. You got me there, Stephen Ambrose breath.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Chris, I don't think one man's terrorist is another's "freedom fighter." And I'm not even sure how you would gather that I would be. Additionally, there is a large section of gray involved with the Middle East. Cutting things up into black and white terms is something done by feeble minds that are unable to comprehend more.

On top of this, I thought you already were aware that I am not a journalist.

Draft saved Draft deleted