1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Armitage Outed Plame, So Says Associate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 29, 2006.

1. OK, then why did Rove and Libby leak the name? And why did they tap-dance around Fitzgerald to the point where Rove wound up in front of the GJ five times and Libby's under indictment?
    Because something is one thing, doesn't mean it's not the other. Everybody in this sorry crew has an agenda. Some of them are slightly more benign.

2. Libby is not under indictment for leaking the name - he's under incdictment because Fitzgerald said that Libby's testimony did not match up. If Fitzgerald knew five days into the investigation (as has been reported) that it was Armitage - then everything else was just a fishing expedition.

My guess is nothing happens to Libby and nothing happens to Armitage and that this whole thing turns out to be a waste of time and money in the eyes of history.

3. I didn't say Libby was under indictment for leaking the name. I said he was under indictment because of his tap-dancing around with Fitzgerald and, if it was all an innocent, if destructive, bit of gossiping, why didn't he and Rove go in and tell Fitzgerald that? Especially Karl, who had to go back five times and discover e-mails etc. etc.
    There may have been inexcusably loose lips, and a dirty-tricks operation. The two are hardly mutually exclusive, and if it's all part and parcel for selling a disastrous war under false pretense, I think history is likely to be less kind.

4. Fenian - you said that Rove and Libby leaked the name.

Armitage linked the name. can't you accept that fact? I think Rove's line when asked about Plame was "I heard that too."

5. I did say they leaked the name. So have other people, most notably Judy Miller (http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/30/cia.leak/index.html), Tim Russert, Matt Cooper (who testified that Rove told him not only Plame's name, and what she did, but also what she was working on at CIA) et. al. I also said he wasn't under indictment for having done so, which he's not, and about which we both agree.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Sure is fun watching Fenian back-pedal like Deion Sanders.

7. And on what have I backpedalled. Specifics now, hondo.
    They outed a CIA agent and wrecked not only her career, but also an entire covert operation dedicated to keeping an eye on Iran's nuclear program. One of them,apparently, did it as a clumsy gossip. The others did it as political payback, and may have lied about that to a prosecutor.
    If you want to argue that it was incompetence and incompetence alone that compromised a national-security operation, you're welcome to do so. I think you're wrong, though.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You and the rest of your ilk are back-pedaling in where the blame should be going for the Plame leak. And please stop elevating her like she as a female James Bond. She pushed paper, and low-level paper, at that.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am nobody's ilk, damn you!

Have you seen Valerie Plame? She's pretty hot.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

As the ilk herds wander the frozen wastes of our northern wilderness, a quick and honest question for hondo:

How, in your mind, is the outing of a CIA operative by the #2 man at the State Department not a big deal?

I understand that he was a patronage appointment, but still, taking his party affiliation off the table for the purposes of this question, how, in a time of war, as you're so fond of saying, does this not constitute treason?

Nice to see he landed on his feet, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_L._Armitage

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I never said the actual act of outing Valerie Plame shouldn't have been punished, should a court of law so decide...whether it was Libby, Rove, Cheney or Armitage. As long as the media was of the fervent belief that it was one of the administration's pro-war members, the attitude and feeding frenzy was hang 'em high, and don't worry about technicalities such as the due process of law. But now that we know the outing was by an anti-war member of the administration, the silence is both deafening, amusing and hypocritical.

And I believe Pres. Bush said anyone who committed such as act should be punished. He was simply in favor of the law working its course.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. That's our president. Champion of the law. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted