1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Armed resource officer stops school shooting at Atlanta middle school

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BenPoquette, Feb 1, 2013.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Inaccuracies?

It's blatant lies.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well first of all, don't put words in my mouth. I've never once said "militia volunteers" (whatever the hell they are) should be running security at a school so you can go ahead and fuck off.

3. TheSportsPredictor

Except that I won't.

That's exactly what you're referring to. You certainly aren't referring to properly trained off-duty police officers as what we need to put into schools ... since they're already there at many.

4. TheSportsPredictor

Here's one of the "they":

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20130201/us-people-sylvester-stallone/?utm_hp_ref=homepage&ir=homepage

Add him to the NRA's list of enemies:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/02/01/1529761/nra-publishes-enemies-list-with-506-names/

5. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Because it's fun to be the first person to happen upon a punch bowl and put a turd in it and say, "Hey, I bet nobody will want to drink any of this punch."

Sadly, we have too many people who would rather poison a conversation from the very start than bring something of substance to it.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Treating the symptoms are nice, curing the disease is better.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What's the disease? Guns or the constitution?

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

My sons went to a high school with an armed police officer. I was very glad he was there and I thought he was well worth the tax dollars. Not only for the additional security against mass murderers but because I thought he was a good preventive measures against gangs starting and helped enforce drug laws.

But Columbine had a police officer assigned to the campus who obviously prevented nothing. Why? Because in a typical 1,700 student high school like Columbine there are many entrances. If the cop is on the wrong side of the building when someone opens fire with a high velocity assalt weapon many will be killed before security gets to the point of attack. Even if the security is standing right by the door and unexpectedly attacked by someone who comes through the door firing away with high velocity weapon it is likely the officer will lose the gun battle because of the element of surprise.

And a tactical decision for those who believe armed security guards are the 100% solution. Google the map of Sandy Hook school. The entrance is on the northwest side. The swings and play equipment are on the southeast side adjacent to a grove of trees that runs back to a large park with a soccer field and a swimming pool.

So a shooter could park his car at the park, walk through the trees and slaughter children from the grove who are on the playground. Should the security guard remain by the main entrance or should he deploy to the playground at recess where the children are exposed? Because, again, if the security officer is not in the right place at the right time it will be a bloodbath. Security officers suffer from the physical limitation they can not be everywhere.

And would not the best moment for the security officer to attempt disable the perpatrator is when he stops to reload, which occurs obviously occurs more frequently the lower the velocity of the weapon.

So why are supporting a ban on high velocity weapons and armed policemen in our schools contradictory positions? I support both.

And I look forward to the fine govenors of our states such as Perry, Jindal, et.al increasing school funding this year to hire these security personnel. OK by me if my taxes go up a little to pay for them.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

d_b

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/94601/

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Can this thread derail into an obesity debate!

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Not for nothing but this happened 2.9 miles from my house.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You're fond of epithets, aren't you? Saved for posterity.

Draft saved Draft deleted