1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Armed resource officer stops school shooting at Atlanta middle school

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BenPoquette, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, I certainly don't fall into that category. Also, I like the resource officer program that puts fully-trained police officers into schools.

That said, we don't know if the armed, off-duty officer used his firearm to apprehend the shooter. What's wrong with waiting until all the facts are known before using this incident as a political prop?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And they are where?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If this kid shows up and kills a student the "Ban 'Em" crowd would be out in full force. But because they don't agree with the idea that an armed presence can reduce this kind of crime this has to be dismissed as "cop does job" or "he was only targeting one kid."

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Who doesn't?

5. TheSportsPredictor

You're confusing your delusional fantasy of militia volunteers taking on the security needs of a large building with actual trained police officers who currently work in many schools across the country without problems.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

An armed presence can reduce this kind of crime.

We don't know -- except you, I guess -- that it did reduce this kind of crime. We don't know anything about it.

This was also not a shooting spree that was stopped because of the officer. By all accounts it was a beef between two people.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I suspect this alleged incident was an elaborate hoax designed to further the NRA's agenda to get more guns in schools.

8. TheSportsPredictor

They!

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Making sure middle school kids don't have handguns could reduce this kind of crime, too.

How about we all wait to find out what happened before we crow about how it conforms to our prejudices?

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A cop did do his job. He should be commended for it.

But - at this point - we don't know if "an armed presence" played a role in stopping further shootings or not. We don't know if the off-duty officer used his sidearm or tackled him or tazed him or pepper-sprayed him.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Fucking Tuiasosopo again.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

AQB,
    You put my post in the ban 'em anthology even though I didn't say that and said I'm good with armed officers in schools. But inaccuracies are a part of it since this thread started with YG saying this thread wouldn't be of interest to gun-control people (sorry, people who care about safety). Nearly 50 replies less than an hour later...

Draft saved Draft deleted