1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Armed resource officer stops school shooting at Atlanta middle school

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BenPoquette, Feb 1, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How were the Columbine victims targeted?

This sounds like one kid had one problem with one other kid.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mean, that's the question, right? What level of other crime in the community are we willing to sacrifice in exchange for protecting children, to whatever degree this accomplishes that. I mean, it can't be infinite. Or else we'd send the entire force into schools each day, like Commissioner Gordon sending the entire force into the tunnel in "Rises."

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I was referring to his delusional fantasy.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How is anybody downplaying what happened?

You are leaping to the conclusion the officer used his sidearm to stop the shooter. We don't know if he ever drew it from his holster.

5. printit

printit Member

Why, because it doesn't support the side you support?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But I'm sure that's not enough for you.

7. Dick Whitman

Huh?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

AQB all you're doing is showing that some people are more rational than you.

But thanks!

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not enough what?

10. Dick Whitman

AQB: To crystallize my stance, which still needs more information, much more:

Police officers in schools increase school safety.

Police officers off the streets decrease safety on the streets.

I don't know how much pulling police officers off the streets and into schools increases school safety in comparison to how much it decreases street/community safety.

I would have to know the answer to this before I could determine whether I would find this to be an efficient allocation of resources. The answer may very well vary by community.

11. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

The AJC reporting on this is pretty awful

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/shooting-at-atlanta-middle-school-terrifies-parent/nWCSb/

12. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

The Journal-Constitution is reporting that the shooting happened outside the school and does not mention the armed guard until well into the story. I hate this kind of reporting...blogging with updates that really make no sense and just add to the confusion.

I tried to watch the police press conference, but was denied access because there were too many people logged in.

Draft saved Draft deleted