1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Armed resource officer stops school shooting at Atlanta middle school

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BenPoquette, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Tony, 10 replies in 19 minutes isn't enough reaction?

And did the kid use an assault rifle? Doesn't sound like it. I'm fine with officers in buildings. As noted, thousands of schools already have this. It's having the George Martins -- or janitors -- running around armed that gives me pause. Now, can we also have armed officers in every: movie theater/restaurant/mall/Walmart/college classroom/college campus/park/office? Or would, maybe, perhaps, trying to limit assault rifles also play a role in preventing *some* mass shootings, in the same way that armed people can prevent *some* mass shootings.

(Although this doesn't sound like a kid who came looking to kill everyone randomly).

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Cop does job.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would definitely be in favor of schools having a similar-type officers on duty.

As was pointed out, a fully-trained police officer, not some militia guy or an armed civilian volunteer, but a fully-trained police officer.

4. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

No one can say this with any certainty. Irresponsible to speculate either way. We won't know what was on this kid's mind until he is interrogated. Even then, how can we tell for sure? Kid brought gun to school, kid was stopped. No one knows what would have happened...but we do know what didn't happen.

5. Mizzougrad96

It has to be a trained police officer, not some neighborhood watch guy with a gun permit...

I think we're very close to getting to the point where most schools have someone like this there.

6. Mizzougrad96

The Columbine victims were targeted too...

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Perhaps. It would be interesting to see how crime rates respond in those communities, though, when you take 5-6 trained officers off the street each day in some school districts. Meaning that, ultimately, there may be a net protection loss for communities because resources are inefficiently distributed.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yep. Love how the anti-gun whack-jobs are trying to downplay what happened here.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How so?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But we're being told nothing is a higher priority than protecting our kids at school so those stats are really irrelevant.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Complete and utter horseshit on your part.

12. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Can we not even have a discussion without people throwing fucking stones? Jeez...sorry I brought this up.

Draft saved Draft deleted