1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Armed man attempts suicide by cop at Schenectady newspaper office

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sad to see, and frightening as well. Who knows how many nutjobs are out there that want to harm media organizations:

http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2011/oct/09/1009_shooting/

2. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Totally outing myself here, but this is my shop, and this needs to be clear: the guy wasn't specifically targeting us for any reason, he was just a messed-up guy from the nearby neighborhood. I'm not sure if he even knew where he was, or cared.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It might be too soon to say this, but your security guard needs to be fired, yesterday.

4. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

It's one of the (many) sad aspects of the whole thing. He's such a nice, charitable person that he lost sight of what the definition of the job is.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wait, the cop was within 20 feet, fired off four rounds and only hit him three times?

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Adrenaline is a helluva drug.

7. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Glad all the employees were OK.

Newspaper buildings are often in crap neighborhoods because 1) the paper is one of the oldest businesses in town and the neighborhood went to hell around it, or 2) industrial zoning is required to have the printing press on-site.

And of course, as corporate suits cut costs, one of the first things to go is security. Because why pay someone to protect the employees when the publisher has gone home?

Given these things, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

He should have been popped in the head. No reason for him to live.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Security guard? What is that. We don't even have a receptionist now. Never had any type of security. All doors are unlocked at all times. The powers that be want the readers to feel like they can come on in, and they do ... usually on deadline. It was a few months ago that some pissed off drug dealer came in here raising hell with people because we had a story about his arrest. I wasn't in the office at the time, but it wasn't pretty.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You should send the powers that be a link to this story. Then ask the publisher if he leaves the doors at his house unlocked, as well.

11. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

The cop was 5 feet away. The guy made his move when the cop's partner went to open the door for the backup guys who showed up with the tasers.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted