1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Armageddon at ESPN today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Oct 21, 2015.

1. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

The gold medal factory is hard at work, I'm sure.

JackReacher and Doc Holliday like this.
  2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

TV will not be dead for a long time. The programming is changing -- Netflix, HBO/Showtime for the most compelling creative content.

As one in TV news, it's actually pretty strong, even in 2015. The key is work in markets that are "cold and old". (Upper Midwest/Rust Belt) and also the Carolinas (NC is political swing and SC is early primary). These regions still have lots of viewers and decent economies for advertising dollars.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, I never said TV was dead and I don't think it is or will be for decades if ever. However, if I can cut the cord and find it so liberating, there's no telling what this next generation will do. I'll never go back to cable/satellite or subscription based TV.

Now, allow me to pick and package my own channels and I'll do that. In fact, that's why I picked up a subscription to SlingTV ... I get ESPN, ESPN2 and History channel, and CNN. I really don't need or want anything else.

Besides, I use a lot of my free time now to work out, exercise, etc., and for the past 4+ years I've been in the best shape of my life. That alone, will keep me from ever going back to watching TV like I used to.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'm with you on working out and not watching TV as well.

Ticks me off when I think of all the free time I had before.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Is it possible to drop cable and still have access to ESPN's college football games? That's pretty much the only thing I watch on the WWL. Well, that and PTI.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, but I think you need SlingTv.

I have an Amazon Fire Stick. Can't remember if WatchESPN made me log in the first time.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

SlingTV is your answer.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Haven't had cable for 5 years, only really miss it in October during the baseball playoffs. I don't think TV's dead or ever going to be, but its business model is going to go through the same sort of shakeup that other media are facing.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Cable wouldn't be worth it without the DVR or On Demand options. Allows me to watch things on my own schedule. Wouldn't pay for it otherwise.

JackReacher likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Is there a streaming service that will work off my iPhone as opposed to needing home internet access?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If there is, you better have an unlimited data plan.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I do. The only reason I've stuck with Sprint.

Draft saved Draft deleted